Skip to main content

My All-Time Baseball Team

This is kind of silly, but it's inspired by my "abuse" at the hands of John Cooney, who claims to have seen a picture of me at 15, maybe 16, in a Philadelphia Phillies shirt, despite my claim that I've liked Boston since 1984.  First let me break down my love affair with baseball teams by years.
1976-1979 Yankees &Phillies (Boston was my #3) - my parent's and grandparent's favorite teams
1980-1983 Phillies (Boston #2) - You'll see why from my all-time team
1984- present Boston (Phillies are my NL team). - Started with Clemens and I stuck with them

All-Time Team (only players I've watched play)

C - Jason Varitek - The Sox captain. Epitome of team player, even when his skills had diminished.
1B - Cecil Cooper - I played a lot of first base as a kid and absolutely adored Coop.
2B - Dustin Pedroia - Gritiest player in MLB today.
SS - Nomar Garciaparra - Had he not been hurt and A-Rod stayed at short, Jeter would be #3 in MLB
3B - Mike Schmidt - My favorite batter of all-time. Nothing is better than listening to Ted Williams talk about just how good he was.
LF - Carl Yastrzemski - People might be shocked to know I like him more than Manny.
CF - Garry Maddox - "Two thirds of the earth is covered by water, the other third, by Garry Maddox." - Harry Kalas
RF - Dwight Evans - Arguably the best arm I've ever seen and one of the most underrated players ever.
SP - Steve Carlton - My favorite player of all-time.
SP - Roger Clemens - At one time my second favortire, but hard to like him as a person these days.
SP - Pedro Martinez - For a stretch, the best athlete in all of sports.
SP - Ron Guidry - The biggest travesty the BBWA and the Hall of Fame has ever committed.
CL - Dan Quisenberry - I've always been mesmerized by quality side-arm, submarine pitchers.
Bench - Roy White, Greg Luzinski, Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Larry Bowa, Willie Randolph, Trot Nixon,  Kevin Youkilis, Bake McBride
RP - Tim Wakefield, Tom Gordon, Kent Tekulve, Goose Gossage,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her