Skip to main content

Four Days Without Technology

Saturday morning, I awoke to a broken phone. This was the start of 86 hours of living without technology (sort of). The inability to make a call, a text or an email was frustrating, but there was one perk. No social media. Yes, I know, I'm the world's biggest hypocrite. The reality is it gave my mind a little break and it made realize that we're truly wasting this technology.  We've become so accustomed to using it to garner personal attention, that we don't use it to promote important things at all. Imagine if instead of posting a woe is me post, we posted a woe is someone else. Someone with real problems.

What if we used our connections to assist. Maybe to raise money, donate time, transportation or food. It dawned on me that I have a friend who is completely detached from technology, who broke her foot. She is out of work for at least six weeks and is losing some pay. She also has a roommate she drove to work every day. So now her roommate is spending $25 a week in transportation. What if through social media we gathered a team. Multiple people chipping in whatever they could. A ride Wednesday morning, some dollar coins, some leftover sauce, some books or magazines, or any other things we take for granted.

I just think about all we use technology for and it seems that it's all become a tool fir selfishness, for power and for complaints. It's charity seeking, showing off and babble. Imagine if we used to to help. Maybe it's crazy, but when you have so much time, you realize how easy it is to help others, maybe even those we don't know. I know I've benefitted a little, from the kindness of a stranger, so why not make it a tool for good? Is it really important to tell the world where you went on vacation fifty times, when you could possibly post something that helps others.
.
Maybe, but until then, I haven't slept, I had arroz con pollo for dinner and I don't feel so great. Woe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...