Skip to main content

The Real Problem With America Is that Sally Yates Isn't John Yates!

Over my lifetime, I've realized that misogyny is the single worst act of oppression in the world. We here in the United States of America like to pretend we're above such prejudice, but we're the worst. We're the worst, because our country is young and if one is to read our Constitution, our laws and simply look at our history, women have had a voice for a very short time and their voice is often drowned out by the voices of men. Insecure, old, white men.

Yesterday, as I watched Sally Yates get interrupted, while James Clapper was given the respect of a peer, it really hit me what the problem was regarding Sally Yates' past warning. She was a woman, giving information that would take down a man. A military man. In 2017, that still isn't acceptable to the Old Boy's Club of American politics, but it speaks to a bigger problem.

Even in our liberal discussions, we say "what about women and children," as if they're equally as feeble and inept in their abilities to care for themselves. The same people that preach equality compare women to children more often than comparing women to men. When we believe we've granted equality, we scrutinize their abilities, their strength and worry about when they will take off or ask for leave, to have a child. Shouldn't we then question men on when they'll be "reckless" enough to try to conceive? We view men's ability to have sex, simply have sex, as more of a medical concern than that of a woman to carry a child for nine-months.

I had not realized until recently, that I've always been surrounded by misogyny, Raised by a misogynist, who was raised by two misogynists. Yes, even my grandmother fell into the roll of believing she was the weaker gender and passed it on to her children, her grandchildren and great grandchildren. Much like racism, misogyny is an ignorance passed down by generations after generation.

In many ways, I'm not better than anyone else. I view myself as a protector. Feel shame when I'm not the provider. Viewed control as my right, even when I told myself that giving it up was my choice. I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and I respect women more today than I did yesterday. Sally Yates earned my respect yesterday, not because she's a woman, but because she proved to be human. In an unequal setting, she too down two men, simply by being smarter than them. She also did it with the utmost respect for herself, her job and most importantly (in this case), her country. If Sally Yates was John Yates, nobody would have dared treat her as they did and she'd never had to have proven her worth. As a matter of fact, if she'd been John Yates, Michael Flynn would have been fired immediately and she'd still have her position. I'm sure of this.

American Hero lacks a gender. Maybe one day, American will.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!