Skip to main content

Four Months Without Sports

It's pretty crazy when I think about it. No March Madness. No Opening Day. No Masters. No NBA or NHL Playoffs. For others, there were personal losses. Senior Seasons, gone! A culmination of a lifetime of practice for one last moment of glory, whether at the lowest high school or highest college levels. Gone!

For me, sports have always been my passion, Along with cinema, sports has given me the escape from reality, no matter how bad things have been. I've probably had more ferocious debates with Yankees fans, defending my beloved Boston Red Sox, than I have about any other topic on this Earth. It's true love. In some ways, as unconditional as it gets, as I will stick up for anyone in the uniform, no matter how good or how bad, as long as it pertains to my team. Spring always brought hope. Everything else in sports is just a distraction, while baseball has always been the excuse to shut out the world. From April until the end of October, it's always been about baseball. 

2020!

I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought, but I miss it. Where I live now is nowhere near the baseball town I once lived in. People don't seem to have the patience, despite moving at a much slower rate than those closer to the Big Apple. I still talk with a few and argue, but it's either on the phone or through social media. It's not the same. 

Four months without box scores. Four months without thrills and the true agony of defeat. Four months without driving by a little league field and remember my times coaching. Four months without playing with the children. Four months without losing myself in a TV set, while others talk about things I care nothing about. Four months without sitting shoulder to shoulder next to Yankees fans. 

It's been a crazy year, but of all that has changed, I have a feeling, sports returning will bring a sense of normalcy that has been missing. The crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd, the thrill of the final out. I don't love apple pie, but I do love baseball. I just worry, that when our distractions return, we'll begin to lose focus on what is really important. We need it, as this reality we've lived through has been exhausting beyond anything we ever could have imagined. For many of us, it's too real. Sickness and death. Racism and riots. Politics and the insanity reality that our world is crumbling all around us. Baseball is what I need. For others, it's something else. We just have to remember, it's all just a distraction. Needed, but unnecessary. If that makes any sense. This year, nothing does, yet everything does. 

2020! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!