Skip to main content

What happened?

In the past twenty years the things that matter most to me have changed so drastically I sometimes wonder if I am the same person. Did I get a lobotomy? Are body snatchers real?

In 1989 I was always avoiding my parents and family. In 2009, I cherish the moments I have with my father, brother, and grandmother. They are all the real family I have left and it makes me wonder if I didn't miss out on some stuff from yesteryear.

In 1989, I looked at females and wondered what they looked like naked. In 2009, I wonder if they can carry a conversation for 15 minutes without mentioning some reality TV show and if they actually know what is going on in the world.

In 1989, I loved sports, but wouldn't care if I missed a game. In 2009, I never miss a big game. While this aspect of my life might seem childish, it's those special moments in sports that bring me happiness.

In 1989, I loved to fight. Seriously, it's sick, but I loved it. I got into some fracas almost every weekend. I almost got turned on by fighting. In 2009, I avoid physical confrontations at almost all costs.

In 1989, I thought I knew everything. In 2009, I try and learn something new every day. What I do know is that 19-year olds today are a lot dumber than we were in 1989.

In 1989, I spent about 10 minutes in front of a computer a week. Now that's about my hourly average.

In 1989, I spent about 20 minutes brushing my hair before going out. In 2009, I shave my head because I just don't have the patience.

In 1989, I thought I knew what love was. In 2009, I know what it is, but not sure how to attain it.

In 1989, I could hit a baseball 400ft, I could throw a football 54 yards (and 30 with my left hand), I could get rim playing basketball. I could drive a golf ball 270+ yards. I could jog a mile in 7 minutes and actually jump a hurdle. In 2009, I have two torn ACL's, one torn rotator cuff, I can't play any sports anywhere near where I used to, but damn can I watch me some sports. Plus, if you see me running, you better start running too, because something terrifying is chasing me.

In 1989, a perfect day was getting drunk, getting laid, and ending up at the diner at 5AM for coffee. In 2009, I'm happy with the coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!