Skip to main content

No, Virginia There Is No Santa Claus

Recently, there was a story about a Nanuet teacher telling their second grade class that there is in fact, no such thing as Santa Claus.  The article then said that the teacher explained that the parents bought the presents.  People in the community, especially the parents of the children are in a tizzy.  Journalists have been sent to investigate.  The world is coming to an end.

Second grade is inhabited by seven-year-olds. When I was seven, I knew damn well there was no Santa, no tooth fairy and no, well we won't go there.  A seven year old in 1977, knew that there was no man in a red suit, who flew around with reindeer and had elves performing slave labor to make toys.  Why did I know this?  Because my parents taught me not to be naive.  If something wasn't believable, I should question it.  Did they in fact write "from Santa" on gifts?  Of course, but I never wrote a list, so how'd he know what I wanted?  At age seven, I knew the flue of my fireplace was not wide enough to allow a skinny person access to the house, let alone a fat guy with a bag full of presents.

Now was the teacher's statement poor judgement?  I don't think so. I don't think parents should keep this insane idea that their child's innocence is a good thing.  Not a day goes by where some little kid isn't taken from a mall or from outside his house. So who is more likely to get taken?  The kid who knows that there is no Santa or the kid who believes in the make believe world of the Santa's workshop? Now maybe it isn't a teachers job to point out the obvious to a child of seven, but it is their job to educate.  Teaching kids that they should question what they believe and not take everyone's word for everything is a valuable lesson.  Was this revelation revealed as a lesson?  I doubt it, but in the long run, I think those kids actually benefit.  This is just another instance of education and knowledge being frowned upon, because it's not seen as positive.  Well watch the 11 O'clock news.  It's reality and it's not positive.  Let's get off this teacher's back and let's forgive her for telling the kids the truth. 

Somewhere in the last thirty years, facts, truths and honesty is seen not as a virtue, but as a weakness, an inconvenience and dirty words.  The fact it there is no Santa Claus, we all know this.  Now a handful of kids know it.  Big deal.  Isn't Christmas a celebration of the birth of Christ?  Did Jesus believe in Santa?  I doubt it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!