Skip to main content

Stretching Chinese Food

Being frugal, broke and sort of trying to lose weight, I have come to the realization; Chinese food is the most economical way to make take-out a substantial substitute to regular shopping. Of course, you're going to need a few staples at home.

The other night, I was in the mood for wings, but didn't feel like paying $11-13 for a handful. So I called my local take-out joint and made a small order. The chicken wing combo (comes with fried rice & an egg roll), cold noodles with Chef's special sauce and one extra egg roll. One filling meal, but I had other plans. The entire check was $15.

I took the wings out (10) and wiped the rice off. Melted two tablespoons of butter in a skillet and dumped in the hot sauce. I then tossed the wings for about two minutes until completely covered in the sauce, threw them on a plate with some sliced carrots I had and I was enjoying delicious buffalo wings for half the cost of the local bar.

The next morning, I made a poached egg and placed it over half the fried rice that I'd heated up. I did this the following day too. Three meals. For lunch I had an egg roll and the second one the next day. I had the noodles the second night and actually had enough leftover to have a snack, which I added a little chicken I had leftover from a previous homemade meal. $15 of take-out, turned into seven meals with the addition of approximately $2 worth of leftovers and some salad dressing I bought weeks ago.

It might sound silly, but where else can you get seven meals for $17?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!