Skip to main content

First Impressions

I have to be careful, at times, because I do forget a potential employer, or even a current one, may read this and think it's about them. It's not. I can not say that for some coworkers. Although my first impression of them may be different from my current ones.

Yesterday, I posted something about first impressions, when I was slightly ticked off by someone I met, who I was introduced to by name, who reached out, gave me a flimsy handshake, no eye contact, didn't introduce himself, and made no facial expression, not even a fake "nice to meet you" smile.

It bothered me. It bothered me a lot. I have no control over whether or not I will see this person again, but I may very well see him every day. I don't like it. That first impression is important and one that this person will be challenged to reverse. The thing is, he will have to, or his life will be much more uncomfortable than mine. I do not change my ways, to cater to those without class, respect, or simple manners and etiquette. Ever!

The irony is, the same day I posted this, I had a job interview. Extreme heat, and a job to run to afterward left me no choice but to arrive dressed down. My first moments, was to greet my potential boss, apologize and explain, then prove my value. I believe, had the person not known I was given a stellar recommendation, it may have been different. I don't know. I tried to prove that my enthusiasm, my drive, and my experience, was more important than my shirt. Important to note: The shirt was of the business that had recommended me, so it wasn't random. All this being said, I felt uncomfortable because, despite me being broke and having no real dress clothes, I like to appear neat in these situations and I know I did not. I'll let you know if I got the job at another date, maybe another blog, since working for a place of religious involvement will be somewhat new for me.

I just wonder about people who don't value first impressions. Don't get me wrong, I realize much of the time it's a facade, but at least that white lie takes effort. It shows a desire to be looked upon in a brighter light than the truth. There's actually something noble oddly about that, as long as it doesn't continue. Believe me, I know enough people who have convinced themselves they are the fake persona they portray during first meetings. Those are people who have fully earned my disdain, generally a mutual feeling, when I point it out to them.

Yesterday was also the first day of school for many, and so many parents dressed their young children in their cutest outfits, while others made sure their kids had clean teeth, new haircuts, and fresh clothes. Some did not. I do not judge kids by their parents, but judge parents by their kids. I also think the teenagers show where they come from by how they represent themselves. Much of our lives are cyclical, no matter how much that teen angst rails against it.

People who know me realize my disdain for Internet memes and cliched sayings, but the old adage, You never get a second chance to make a first impression, is a pretty solid building block. It's the keeping that impression that many, including myself, need to work on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...