Skip to main content

Being Kind

Ever since social media took over our lives, the idea of kindness being an anomaly has grown. People, almost all that I know, post about this without ever looking at their own lives. They share a story, a video, or their own personal story, expecting praise, acknowledgment, and the ever-important like. What most fail to see is their own hypocrisy. If you're an adult, who claims to have been raised in a wonderful family, you value your faith, and you are a parent, a Facebook share should not be some sort of epiphany. It should, at the very least put a smile on your face, and at the very most, anger you. Anger you, because the sort of behavior you're bringing to attention is not the norm. If this is how you were raised, what your faith teaches, and how you want your children to act, it makes no sense for you to share this as a special message. It should, in your mind, be the norm.

The reality is, we're not good people and these posts, regardless of how touching and poignant they are, are examples of our own insecurities. Would we act or react the same way? Would those that share our faith do so? Would our children? The answer, for most who post, is a resounding no. Kindness is an unselfish act. Posting about kindness, especially for recognition is a selfish act. To be quite honest, Facebook, in it's purest form is a selfish place. It's where we get to measure ourselves against others, whether it be about relationships, financial situations, educational prowess, or simply happiness. Make no mistake, those with woes, myself included, post only to trigger a response. in the hopes of gaining something we lack. For some, it's a daily occurrence, but for others, it's to fill a sudden gap. We're all flawed and for some of us who understand our flaws, we have either accepted them or are battling to overcome them. For others, where delusion is grand, we project our flaws onto others via social media. We criticize excess or lacking, never understanding that Facebook is often a mirror screaming back at us.

Kindness comes from within. It is not about one's purity or even their love. It's an understanding of the social contract, whether that be philosophical, religious-based, familial teaching, or simply life experience. Many times its a combination of some or all and for those who can balance all the contradictions life throws at us and still chooses to be kind, it's true. Kindness is not an innate behavior. It is a learned skill. It has little to do with one's heart and more to do with a person's life experiences teaching them the skills to overcome fear, misunderstanding, and hate. Kindness takes resolve and most lack it. Those who say "Be kind," rarely are, because those who do, have overcome what those who speak about have not. We all must try, but it's a personal journey and few succeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...