Skip to main content

Why Society Is Screwed (50 years of proof)

If anyone has wondered if we're fucked, here's a little look at the last fifty years as it compares to today.

In 1960, The American Heart Association links smoking to heart disease. Today, almost everyone I know smokes or smoked at one time.

In 1965, J.K. Rowling was born. Today, only 35% of high school seniors read at the appropriate level. Books like hers are why.

In 1970, I was born. Today, somehow, I am still alive.

In 1975, unemployment rates hit record highs prompting President Ford (R) to announce a recession. Today, republicans blame the recession on Jimmy Carter who became president in 1976.

In 1980, the Iran-Iraq War started. Today we are fighting the country we backed in that war, even though we also gave arms to the country they were fighting.

In 1985, British scientists discover a hole in the ozone layer. Today, Global warming is a myth...right?

In 1990, The Hubble Telescope was set into orbit. Today, 850,000+ school years of public college could be been given (for free) to students in need using the cost to buld and maintain it.

In 1995, two Earthquakes measuring 7.3 & 7.6 made big news. So far in two and a half months we've had 14 this year and four have been over 7.0 with one being 8.8

In 2000, Fifty-One million Americans watched the finale of Survivor. Today, over 100 million Americans admit to not reading, watching or going on the Internet to get the news on a regular basis.

In 2005, Pope John Paul II dies and reports were that tens of thousands of devout Americans watched his memorial. Today, 31 million devout Americans watched Michael Jackson's memorial.

In 2010, I'm thinking the Mayans might have been on to something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!