Skip to main content

The Oscars

Almost every year, I stay home and watch the Oscars.  This year will be no different, I presume.  My love for film holds my interested, although my disdain for Billy Crystal has made it difficult at times.  Billy Crystal is a talented man, but to be completely honest, he's not very funny.  He's likable and that's about it.  That is not the point of this though.  I watch every year, yet rarely have I seen any of the movies.  Last year, I had actually watched Winter's Bone and was distraught when it didn't win anything.  That being said, I still haven't seen all the movies and actors and actresses it was up against.  I have a few at home actually lying in wait.

The real reason the Oscars was always special was because I watched it every year with my mother.  I remember we'd sit every year and cheer on this one or that.  I remember on year, my father decided to sit in.  They were about to announce the Best Actress Award and we all had out choices.  I wanted Joan Allen for the Contender, my dad wanted Ellyn Burstyn for Requiem for a Dream and my mom wanted Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich.  Roberts won and she laughed at us.  Obviously, there was no real anger, but my father walked away, cursed the whole award show nonsense and went into his bedroom.  I was a little more angry, because to this day, I think it's the most brilliant performance I've ever seen.  My mother was just happy, because she was right.

I can't do things with my mother anymore and that pains me.  I think about how she would have probably made a wonderful Sunday dinner.  We'd have coffee and sit in our Pj's and enjoy the festivities.  Many times, especially when she was sick, she'd retire early and ask me for the results in the morning, but most times we'd stay up.  The Oscars are silly and the show rarely lives up to the hype, but there are some traditions that never die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!