Skip to main content

50 Until 50

As the clock struck midnight, today marks the countdown of 50 days until my 50th birthday. While I am hardly concerned with my increasing age in terms of milestones, I do realize it's considered a big one. The current state of the universe may cancel any chances of people traveling hundreds of miles to honk their horns in my honor, but this world has turned virtual. I am sure I can get some virtual honks, virtual hugs, and virtual shots of the finest spirits. How will I celebrate? I'm not sure. I used to have a joke, which I will not share, because it centers on something I am very serious about. Let's just say, 50 was the goal. Now, with full knowledge of my own grandmother reaching centenarian status, my one wish is that I never come close to another 50. Most people believe I was a curmudgeon at 30, so does the world really need another 50 years of my views and opinions?

So what should I do to assist in this countdown?  I own no old pictures of myself or my family, but one of my mother. Photos have never been my thing, well, I guess until Instagram came along. My 50 favorite movies or songs would have been a possibility, but that would have taken some serious planning. Who knows? Maybe I'll work on that today and have it out by tonight. I've really not thought about anything other than the days. For now, I'll write 50 words on my current state and wishes for my birthday.

I wish, that my dear friends, could gather for a weekend, meet Swag and Helmut, have some drinks, good food, but most of all share in some laughter and relief from whatever burdens them. I hope those people know, despite distance and years between our last meeting, I adore them.

P.S. My real friends didn't count the above passage, because they know who I am. HAHA!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!