Skip to main content

Short Comment On Speech

In casual conversation, it's fine, at times, to start a sentence with "So," but understand that the listener, if intelligent, immediately believes you're about to either make up a story or give a detailed, and unnecessary back story. If used once within a conversation, I assume it will go unnoticed, but when it begins every sentence, it becomes a mental hurdle for those in attendance.

While So is bad, there's almost nothing quite like the nails-on-a-chalkboard sound of "Yeah, So..." It's as if the speaker is putting mammoth importance onto the beginning of something while sounding like a child in the playground. Little kids, smile, smirk, and Like, So their ways into stories about how their clothes got dirty or they broke their friend's toy, and we smile, pat them on the head and try not to laugh as we discipline them. Adults, should never, ever, start a sentence the same way a child caught with their hand in the cookie jar would.

Obviously, some might understand this and even know where my so-called inspiration is coming, but if not, I heard the same person say this, no less than eight times, in three conversations, just yesterday. This person also asked a college-educated woman "How was youses trip?" Again, let me remind or inform you, this word, youses, came out of the same mouth, that not only uttered the words "yeah, so" eight times, but also declared themselves "really fucking smart," just two weeks ago.

Somewhere Dunning and Kruger are smiling or eye-rolling. I simply cringe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...