Skip to main content

Clicking "LIke" For Racism

You sign on to Facebook and your friend has posted a funny picture of a kitten, you click like. Then you see someone posted a video of their daughter's recital and you click like. Then you see a notice about a man who traveled 200 miles by bicycle to raise money for his neighbor and you click like. Then you see a story about a crime and it's sad, because people died and your friend started their post off with the words "this needs to stop" and you clicked like. 

An hour goes by. The comments begin with words like "thugs," "savages" and "animals." One person says they won't say the word, but they want to. It continues, maybe five hours later, there are 30 horrifyingly racist comments. Each comment and like brings it to the top of the news feed. It is trending basically in your little world of people. Everyone has joined this odd crusade against an entire race, because of a single crime. 

I sign on an there is the thread at the top of my feed. Your name is the first I see, followed by "and 22 others liked this." I stare at your name. It's the only one I recognize and the 22 others mean nothing. Your name is attached to it. Maybe you clicked first, maybe you joined in. I don't know, but it's there with all the others. You may say you don't care, but you're a racist in my book. You agree with the general consensus and you have liked what transpired. You are forever going to be viewed differently. You're a teacher, a nurse, a fireman, a police officer and mother or father. You are a racist, commending others on their racism and you want me to view you differently? Will you teach "them" differently? Will you offer "them" less care? Will you try as hard to save "them" or protect and serve "them?" Will you teach your kids about us or will you teach about you and "them."

Next time you're going to "like" something, ask yourself this one simple question. If someone this article is portraying poorly was sitting in front of me, would I be willing to vocalize my acceptance and appreciation of it? Is it really as easy to condemn a race, as it is to be entertained by a kitten?
I click like all the time, but I know what I'm clicking and yes, I do often go back and make sure there is nothing derogatory on it. Sad? Maybe, but I'd rather that than to have someone who I care about and who cares about me, have their belief and trust in me destroyed by others hate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...