Skip to main content

Quickie Review - Wild

Wild is not the greatest movie ever made and it may not even be the greatest movie about self exploration, but it works on every level. It also cemented my opinion that Reese Witherspoon is a great actress. If you decide to see it, I implore you, do not read reviews or message boards, because anti-feminist America doesn't like, nor do they understand this movie. They can't handle a movie that is so complex, yet formed on the simple premise, that in life, we have only two directions in which we can go; we can go forward or we can go back. There is nothing else. Who we take with us, allow us to help or hinder us, is inconsequential, because in the end, we can make the decision that is difficult or we can return to what we know. It sounds as if I'm trying to dumb down the film, but if you see it, you'll understand.

Wild is not for everyone. There is no grand epiphany, fireworks or celebration of things coming into focus. There is no visual fight for survival and the dialogue is not necessarily the most riveting. It's simple, sometimes funny, sometimes sad and sometimes just dialogue. There is sex, drugs, music and food. All of these depicted in good ways and bad. There is fear and overcoming of said fear and you feel it throughout. It is about women, not just a woman, but at the same time, it is Cheryl Strayed's story and only hers. To judge her on how she got there, is to miss the entire point of the film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...