Skip to main content

Quickie Review - Ivan's Childhood and its possible influence on Terrence Malick

Ivan's Childhood is Andrei Tarkovsky's first film and in some people's mind's his first half film, as the movie was apparently started and he took over, adding some dream sequences, a love triangle and his ending. It is in fact, the shortest and easiest to swallow of Tarkovsky's films and gave us inkling into what was to come. In many minds, Tarkovsky peaked with The Mirror (often called Mirror) and in from a visceral standpoint, this is true. While watching Ivan's Childhood I kept thinking of Terrence Malick and how this film's simplicity and power matched that of Badlands and how Andrei Rublev somewhat felt like the epic attempt in The Thin Red Line. Innocence and War (inner and literal). Malick's masterpiece, Tree of Life, with all it's heavy symbolism, has scenes that resemble so many I saw in the Tarkovsky's work, especially the mirror. The parallels are just to numerous to ignore.

Getting back to Ivan's Childhood, it is important to remember that we're dealing with Russian films and they had to be made a certain way. It is also important to note that Tarkovsky refused to cut his films, because they would lose his message. In some minds, he came along at the perfect time. Ivan hinges on the performance of Nikolay Burlyaev, who was 15 at the time and had never acted. Knowing this is a surprise, because it's arguably one of the greatest performances by a child in the history of film. His first few scenes are mesmerizing and the only knock on the film as whole, was my desire for more of his presence. The film jumps between war and dreams of a better time and is done so with such beauty, at times you swear there are glimmers of color within the black and white stock. The use of shadows and light are exquisite and I promise you'll remember this film the next time you gaze at a birch tree. In the end, the film is quite simple and moving and is everything this viewer looks for in a film. It's noted by many as his worst, but I'd argue it might be his second or third best. For a man who made seven films, five of which I've seen and none not brilliant in some way, worst and best are ridiculous descriptions. It's something that must be seen, possibly coupled with The Mirror, to see his growth, both in direction and viewpoint. Like Malick he loves to show innocence being challenged and maybe it's his innocence that most modern day viewers didn't connect with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...