Skip to main content

Snowy Days

The ice and snow came early this year, as did the selfish behavior. Just days after those who preach thankfulness and gratitude had finished their gluttonous ways, the harsh winter weather came rolling through. Ice, lots of ice, was followed by snow, lots of snow. Shovels scraped and plows plowed. Some took their time, meticulously clearing straight paths, then salted. Others vigourosly dug in, created pockets of space among mountains of snow. All had the same initial goal, but it was when one had completed their task that their true selves peeked through.

Some lumbered through snow, down streets, around corners, through lawns no longer green. They helped the elderly, the sick, the parents with no wonder to supervise while they worked. Some simply helped those who had not woken, realizing they'd have done it for them; or maybe not. Others lay in bed, waiting for those selfless beings to clear a path, then at the very last minute, a cry of being busy or burdened, as they scraped holes into their windshields, taking off, snow, and ice flying from their roof and hood, never looking back to see how their inaction may cause others despair or worse.

No thanks are necessary for most. Others demand it. Some worked for minutes, others for hours. Some got paid, others did not. It matters not in a society or community where others count on the kindness of strangers and friends alike. Society is crumbling, because the few have become the masses. Love thy neighbor, a mere fairytale of a long-ago time. The silence of the snowy day seems metaphorical. The beauty and serenity combined with the altruistic nature of some, while the unseen ferocity of the season is telling of our societal shift towards selfishness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...