Skip to main content

So Many Ideas

With lack of sleep, there becomes an abundance of time to think. While most of it is as scattered as the clothes on my floor, there are those occasional moments of clarity.  They are, by my own admission, few and far between.  I have so many ideas that would be great for me, if I only had the resources to begin these ventures.

While in college I wrote a marketing plan and mission statement for a food delivery service.  My professor laughed at me. A year later, Newsweek or some other major magazine had an article about a teenager who hired his friends and made a million dollars delivering groceries in his community.  A few years later I tried to sell an idea to open up a store, that would eventually use the Internet, to sell only athletic team hats.  Nearly four years later, the first LIDS, Inc. opened and turned into a multi-million dollar corporation. I've joked with others about some silly ideas that actually became realities, like Chefs Express, but never had the money to even attempt these things.  I have so many others, but they are either pipe dreams or too many dollars away from ever happening.

Without giving out all the details, I've got tons of others.  One would be to expand on my current position working with kids into a bigger business.  This however is not a novel idea and there is some serious competition, but I'm sure with the right resources, I could make it explode, because I'd expand it to include everything one could imagine under it's current umbrella.

I have an idea that might revolutionize college life.  The problem with this one, would be to be able to find out the legality of it first. The second problem would be the initial period would have to yield incredible results that are almost impossible to measure.  The third would be expansion.  If it took off, it would be almost impossible to keep up with.  Although in this economic climate, it wouldn't be hard to find a work force.  It's just finding the right work force that would be an issue.  In it's most simplistic form, it would create a business (aka real) world environment for college students that would enable them to experience more time for other endeavors, while being a student.

I have tons of ideas for screen plays and novels, but my newly acquired, self diagnosed adult ADD has limited me to blogs and driving people crazy on Facebook and Twitter.  I have an idea for a psychological thriller, which I already have a beginning and ending for, but it's all the filling that escapes me.  I have an inner city story, based on real experiences, with a twist.  I have an idea for a play about the simple lives of people we all know.

I have two ideas for computer/Internet games. One is a sports themed game, playing on the popularity of role playing games and the crazy amounts of time people spend on them.  The best part of this game would be it's   ability to generate revenue. Obviously, my complete lack of knowledge of video game design and the inner workings of connectivity would mean I'd have almost nothing to do with it, but selling the idea.  The other idea is a highly specialized social media idea, that would deal with my true love...movies.  That is probably the least developed as there are certain websites that offer similar things, just not in "real" time.

I have ideas for restaurants. God, do I have ideas for restaurants.  Fine dining, chains, theme and fast food. I have ideas for delis, stores, bars.  I have foodie ideas to make tons of money and ideas to make nothing.  I think the average person's lack of food knowledge and appreciation, given the country we live in, is staggering.  Which reminds me of the best food story I have.

In 9th grade, my science teacher in Manhattan brought in something to use as a teaching tool.  He told us he would ask three questions on the test about this surprise item.  He then presented the class with paper plates each with a cracker.  Atop the cracker were little black balls. He then told us three things about these little dots. That day a bunch of inner city white, black, Spanish, Indian, European and every other race, creed, color religion kids, all had their introduction to caviar.  Two days later we had our test.  Some passed and some failed, but that day we got them back, he noted, "You guys all tried your best and some did better than others and that will always be the case in life. I do however want you all to know one thing though.  I gave you all a few extra points for trying the caviar, because I realize it's something scary and new."  We all laughed.  As we got set to leave the class that day, he stopped us again and smiled.  He said "Oh, and not one of you got a single question wrong on the questions about fish reproduction."  Don't remember one teacher's name from that school I went to that year, but I remember, Mr. Triantifilou or as we affectionately called him Mr. T.

The other night, while taking one of my star gazing walks, I started thinking about how I really would live my life if I ever won money.  Mine wouldn't change much at all, aside from the worry free finances, but the lives of so many others would. Some might with me making a profit, but so many would because of generosity and a planned way to help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her