Skip to main content

Adapting

I'm becoming obsessed with the psychology of humans. Why is it that cats, dogs, and anything else we may call pets can adapt to our lives, breaks in routine, and our silly habits and rituals, like daylight savings, while we can't handle the smallest mandatory changes in our behaviors or schedules?

I'd like to think I see myself as I truly am; a chameleon. I can adapt my behavior, my conversations, and my emotions to any and all situations. I know working with kids has allowed me to step outside of myself and cater to them, but I also believe it's taught me to do this with adults. I should add, being a lifelong barfly has allowed me to do this too. I'm always amazed at those who frequent watering holes daily who cannot adapt to the conversation and always go back to what they are comfortable speaking about. I feel this is the norm. I fall back to my go-to excuse and will blame, in part, social media. When we're allowed to only speak of ourselves, without interruption, we develop a false sense of self-worth. When we're allowed to believe there are interest and care, due to clicks, we start to believe the real world is the same. We also lose our ability to change with our environment. When this happens at work, it affects our ability to negotiate, even delegate, when there is a proverbially bump in the road. When this, in my opinion, becomes a disease, is when we are affected socially. I find, and maybe it's something else, like intelligence, loneliness, or simply an uninteresting life, that when we start repeating stories that we find interesting, even though they don't really match the existing conversation, we lost our ability to adapt. 

Last night, while discussing some random topic and attempting to fit in, another person, one I dislike, entered the mix. He immediately went to his go-to macho, misogynistic, repetitive rant. I should note, there is nothing sadder than a man, who hasn't fulfilled his own, let alone society's expectations, who resort to misogyny to fill in for his own inadequacies. Stomping your feet and reminding others of your military service is a wonderful way to remind others of your diminishing virility. While others attempted to appease his faltering ego, I decided to leave. While this move ironically contradicts this blog's title, I thought it best, as I felt a younger, much less understanding and empathetic me coming out. Maybe, in some ways, that is adapting, more than evolving. Something I also view as a lost art. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...