Skip to main content

Mimicking

Remember, as a kid, how funny it was to mimic someone? You knew it frustrated others, especially adults, but you got such a belly laugh out of it. Then, when it was done to you, the frustration grew so quickly, you screamed, cried, maybe even lashed out and hit. It was one of those things so many of us did and had done to us that dissolved early on in our childhood. By our teens, there was nothing worse than being seen as someone who emulated another, at least obviously. As we get older, to vocally mimic someone would be seen as weird. To copy mannerisms, phrases, and actions would be absurd. While I've written about not being petty, ever, I found myself in a situation the other day, where another's grunts, groans, and weight-of-world antics so infuriating, that I wondered where someone could learn to project such hardship doing mundane tasks. Weightlifting grunts coming from cleaning dishes. Moving furniture moans from placing a spoon in a drawer. Drawn out sighs, as if the realization that life was so unfair came from the simple cleaning up of one's own garbage. I snickered. Later that evening, I chose not to say "Hello." I tended to my needs. A free kitchen, a rarity, welcomed me. They looked through a bookshelf, seeming to have lost or misplaced a needed or important item. I began to slice onions, a tomato, and toast some bread. I began to moan, grunt, and sigh with every move. The exaggerated effects of the most insignificant motions. I sighed as I came towards completion. I then heard a snicker. Then a mumble. I smiled, downward, not wanting to let on. Imagine, just for a second, being so immersed in one's self, you didn't even know the person was mimicking you?

Childish? Yes! Petty? Absolutely. Completely rewarding? Guilty as charged.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...