Skip to main content

24 Hours Of Facebook Updates: My Friends Inspire Me

The other day a non-Facebook used asked me what I like about the social network so much.  I thought briefly and told them it was a very simple answer.  It keeps me up to date with friends who I either can't see or speak to, don't see or speak to enough or friends I don't really want to see or speak to, but do like to know they are doing well.  I started thinking about it the next day after this conversation and realized it's not the reason.  I like to be inspired.  Sometimes an update inspires me to contact someone.  Maybe it inspires me to write a blog or have a conversation with someone about a topic.  Maybe it reminds me about something I needed to do in my life.  Sometimes it just reminds me of special times in my life.  Sometimes it just gives me a much needed laugh.  So for this blog, I'm going to cut a paste some updates and tell of how they affected me.  Obviously, I will not post people's names, but you can look to see if you are here.

Let me also start by saying that is a positive blog.  One thing that did stand out over the last few days was the issue of same sex marriage.  I'd say nearly every one of my friends who was  for the law, posted positive and eloquent updates urging our senate to pass the vote.  Ironically, my very few friends who were against it, wrote derogatory comments in almost complete gibberish and with tons of misspelled words.  I'd like to think not only justice was served, but intelligence also.

So here we go, starting with about 24 hours ago:

22 hours ago: Time for a night cap - this reminded me of my grandmother in her younger days.  We'd go to visit her in Philly and she'd always have a drink in her hand before dinner and after.  She'd start to get a little tired and could never just walk away and retire to the bedroom.  She always needed that last drink of the night and it always had to be announced.

16 hours ago: Trying to hit four miles today - this reminded me of about two months ago when I had just missed a bus.  I figured I'd walk towards home from New Rochelle, stop and get a bite to eat and get the next bus in a half hour.  I started walking and as a goof, put the gps from my phone on.  I had walked about a mile and a quarter and stopped for a hot dog across from New Rochelle HS.  I asked the guy for change for the bus and he explained he didn't have any coins. He actually gave me more change, because of this.  Just then, the bus passed.  So I figured I'd eat my dog, drink my water and walk til the next bus.  I was at Wykagl area when the next one came and I figured, I was only one mile away, so why not do it.  Well I got home and was exhausted. Dripping sweat on a 60 degree day, but it was probably the most I had walked in twelve years (walked drunk for seven miles in pitch darkness from a bar in New Hampshire).  This time I could literally not move from bed the next day, but I did it.

15 hours ago: Pierce Camp Birchmont buses are on their way....wish I were on one! - The words, the pictures, just seeing my friends profile pictures remind me of the four best summers of my life.  Probably one-third of my friends on facebook are from Birchmont.  I love the place and all of them hold a special place in my heart.

14 hours ago: Having a pool right outside your home is mint - gotta love that someone from Eastchester is still using lingo from 1988.  And I'm serious, I love it.  It's like when me and Brian say "Fresh!"

14 hours ago: Old Timer's Day - I remember when this was the most anticipated game of the year at the Stadium, because you knew every year it was a chance to see some of the greatest to ever play the game.  Now it's guys like Bernie Williams and Kevin Mass.

12 hours ago: Who wants a bloody Mary? - reminds me of a lesson I learned about trying to be a man when I was only a boy.  Got drunk off Gordon's gin when I was 13 and literally crawled home.  Then proceeded t throw up all over the house and my parents had to clean it up.  So the next morning I awoke feeling like death.  I walked down the stairs to the table and breakfast was waiting.  My parents acted like nothing had happened and I knew I was a dead man.  What happened next nearly killed me, shocked me and with today's laws would have sent my parents to prison and me to an orphanage.  My father handed me a bloody Mary.  Usually he made me a virgin Mary, but this time he added vodka.  He said "you're not going anywhere until you finish it."  Obviously, he didn't make it strong, but just enough that it tasted like vodka.  I think I sat at that table and cried for hours.  I couldn't bear the smell of it.  Definitely learned my lesson....for about a week.

11 hours ago: Out shopping with Mom - something I used to dread being dragged into and something I'd give the rest of my life to be able to do again.

6 hours ago: I'm sooo gayed out, I'm gonna shit rainbows tonight!!! - OK, this doesn't remind me of anything, but is fucking hilarious.

4 hours ago: Stunning sunset tonight - it reminded me of a day off a bunch of us had during camp.  Some of sat on a dock, some with our chairs actually submerged in the lake. The tiny ripples rolling up against our chests, cooling us on a hot day.  There we sat, six, seven, maybe eight of us, not a sound.  Watching the sun set over the trees.  A perfect end to a wonderful day.

2 hours ago: Someone posted a picture of a newspaper article in the Post or News with a headline that read "Lindsay gave Carol Brady Crabs!" - Without Facebook, I would have missed this and the sheer enjoyment it gave me.  How fucking awesome is it that the more the years roll by, the more Florence Henderson proves to be a slut?" 

57 minutes ago: Oh Sleep, why must you be so elusive? Boo- These words couldn't be more representative of the way I feel almost every night and is the reason for so many of my mindless blogs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her