Skip to main content

A Letter to September

Well September, you showed signs of bringing me out of the doldrums at times and for the most part you did, although you left more doubts in my mind about certain aspects of my life. I don't really know what to make of you. Maybe that's why I have put off this letter.

I looked forward to you. An elongated weekend filled with BBQ's and other festivities was on the agenda. The holiday weekend had me laboring at home, fighting what started as a bad stomach ache and progressed to something worse. It cost me a day with some good people, eating and relaxation, always a good duo. A little respite from the bar as my social outlet. I took it with a grain of salt, as I figured it was better to be sick this weekend than the next. A few days later, my brother's birthday arrived with little or no fanfare. He had bigger things ahead.

In this time I also "met" someone new. An acquaintance from a time long ago. A friendship was born. Two hearts and minds that thought alike, but were in different places. In a different time, maybe we'd be more then just friends, who knows. But you helped me get through a difficult time. I can only apologize for my comments that made you decide against maintaining this friendship. I feel that if nothing else, we were someone to lean on, someone to trust with our feelings, if only through our messages and brief talks. I guess when the stakes are too high, the risk isn't worth the reward. I accept your decision, even if I do not agree with it. I miss you.

September brought my brother's union with his lovely wife Diana. I couldn't be happier for them and I'm proud of my brother for finding someone who gets him. If I prayed I'd pray for her sanity in the years to come, because 29 years of knowing him has tested mine. I won't repeat what has already been said in a previous blog, but September 13th was a special day. It will be difficult for anyone to top this day. The weekend couldn't have been a bigger success.

The last two weeks brought on Football, a BBQ, and somewhat tumultuous times for me and someone close to me. I somewhat came to terms with my new found status, but is it mutual. Things to preoccupy myself have made this month quite nice on many levels. I have a friend who has been there to listen to my stuff and I for them. I feel a lot closer to them now than I did even two weeks ago. It's nice at times to get new people's perspective.

If I have one gripe with September it is that you have decimated me financially. Lack of work, excessive spending (not all voluntary) and some bad habits have really tightened the screws. Many more nights spent at home than gallivanting about town.

I'm going to chalk up September as a good month, aside from the incredible weekend of the wedding, it's been a month of good and bad off-setting each other. Nothing too crazy, nothing too exciting other than that big event. I can handle months like September. October rolls in with promise for more money, playoff baseball, and possibly some new found friends or maybe some reconnecting with old. I look forward to October and the winter months with great optimism. I just feel something good on the horizon. Maybe it's just gas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her