Skip to main content

Homophobia and Hypocrisy

In recent weeks, I've used my status updates on Facebook to relay my feelings on some movies. Unlike most people, I didn't love the Hurt Locker, hated The Hangover, but loved Julie & Julia, watched but disliked Brokeback Mountain. Instead of eggs and bacon I mentioned I had brie with preserves for breakfast one morning. I've mentioned other things, both on Facebook and to people in person and quite often the reaction has been repeated. "You're Gay!"

When a game is on, I get wrapped up in a conversation about Coq au Vin or some artsy film I might have viewed recently, there are those that feel it's a sign of my lack of manliness. Now anyone that knows me knows that I am too messy and my total lack of regard towards fashion shouts out "straight," but I do like to dabble in the kitchen and I like more cerebral movies. It's funny how most restaurant chefs aren't labeled gay, but a single guy who eats gourmet cheese for breakfast is. Why is this? I'm glad Eric Ripert and Anthony Bourdain didn't give up their passion because someone might have thought it a less manly endeavor. Thankfully, Claude Monet or Michelangelo weren't called effeminate because they liked to paint. Imagine if Caruso or Bjorling became carpenters instead of singers. A manly endeavor that would have taken so much joy away from so many. So why is it that some men have such a problem with the arts or even intelligence? I've watched movies that manly men have told me they couldn't watch because it was too graphic. At no time did I think this was a reflection of what they liked to do in the bedroom and who with.

Now I realize we live in a time where the average person is not that bright. We are inundated with locker room humor and the old boy's club ideals, but this is 2010. Why were we more accepting 100 years ago? Was it because people weren't open about their sexuality? Honestly, does it matter. Why is it that the same people who call me gay for liking a movie about cooking or a male actor's ability go to church and are fine with knowing that there's a decent chance the man in front of them has had indiscretions with young boys, or even men in his own parish? Why is that acceptable? Now I'm not condemning Christianity, but there seems to be such a hypocritical view among christians. I never surrendered my life to someones lord, so why is my decision to like certain things gay, but someone who has, is confused or misunderstood? Why is it OK for professional athletes to shower together and slap each other on the ass, but I can't spread brie on a baguette without being ridiculed? The more we "advance" as a people, the more I think we really regress.

In the late 90's a young man named Matthew Shepard was beaten and left to die because he was gay. The media ate this story up and I remember hearing people who were interviewed say that he got what he deserved. I heard people I know say he got what he deserved. He got what he deserved? He did something in the privacy of a bedroom and for this people actually picketed his funeral. Some local churches led the charge. I'll repeat that - Churches led the charge. What people might not know is that this wasn't the first time he was attacked. He was raped in HS. I assume by someone who of course wasn't gay, but wanted to teach him a lesson about, who knows, religion? The problem with our society is we accept gay characters on TV and in movies when they are overtly gay. Not every gay man is Jack from Will & Grace. Not every gay man dresses like a woman. Not every straight man is really straight. Believe me, I've known quite a few people who aren't gay who throw words around like fag or queer who have had relations with members of the same sex. What's that called? Experimenting? Bi-sexual? Isn't that being in a homosexual relationship?

Here's my point. What difference does it make if someone is gay? If I want to sit back and watch a cooking show for ten hours, while listening to opera music and eating some expensive cheese, could you explain how that defines my sexuality? I knew a man, who was openly gay, who was a marine. He was a tough SOB and I'm sure nobody would know by looking at him or by what he did that he was gay and if they did, they sure as hell wouldn't say it. Listen, I'm as guilty as the next guy as being in a room full of straight guys and someone says something a little effeminate and I've thrown a fag joke in here and there, but I don't mean it. Recently, I've tried not to, because it bothers me. I think this bothers me most, because so many people I've come across have no problem calling someone a Jew when they don't leave enough money for a bill. My mother was Jewish and was always telling me about how all of this light joking and social intolerance is what causes things to happen, because people always think it's nothing more than words. You can't see the manifestation of hate in people. The Holocaust, southern lynchings, rapes and murders. So much of it is avoidable, but we allow these negative things to happen, we make them build up. Some people obsess over them and the next thing you know, the little gay remark has grown up into a hate monger.

We haven't evolved, but devolved. As our country fills with Spanish speaking immigrants, my local friends and neighbors have gotten quite loud about not wanting to press one for English, but I find it funny that some of those same people have grandmothers who have lived her for seventy years who don't speak English very well. Why is that acceptable? Because they are Italian and not Spanish? There are some I truly laugh at because they post such things on Facebook. They ridicule non-English speaking Americans, but they have companies that hire them? They don't want to press one for English, but they can't write a sentence that is spelled properly. They want border control, but they cheat on their taxes? They want welfare recipients to be drug tested before getting money, but they are more than happy to hire them to clean their homes or watch their kids, because it's cheaper. This world we live in is a hypocrisy. I know tons of people who have donated to the Haiti relief fund, but don't care about poor kids in New York who don't have food or clothing. Why is this OK? I didn't donate to Haiti, but I did donate to St. Baldrick's for kids with cancer. I donated to Heifer International which helps people all over the world. I will donate to the V Foundation for Cancer Research. Why isn't there more known causes to donate for Americans who can't afford food. If you're against welfare, why would you donate to the poorest country in the world's government? Doesn't that seem a little hypocritical? I wonder sometimes, is that gay? Really, because calling that gay, makes as much sense as calling my movie choices or my musical preferences gay. Don't get me wrong. I laugh too when I read these comments. Some are truly funny. Especially when someone takes the time to make it clever. I can laugh at myself, I can mock my differences. I just find those who like to throw names can not. I"m glad I can and if that makes people see me as different, or even gay, so be it. I guess I'm gay, but whatever label I'm given by others, I know who I am. Do they?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her