Skip to main content

The Six Most Underrated Films Of All-Time

Every year, thousands of movies come out.  Some are universally loved, some universally hated, some missed by many, some seen by many and put on a pedestal they don't deserve.  So I started thinking about movies I've seen, which many haven't (most likely), that everyone should.  This list isn't comprised of movies like Legion, which I liked, but I'm sure I'd be laughed out of any serious film discussion for admitting.  This isn't movies that contain an Oscar nominee, but didn't get widely released.  This is a list of movies that most people I know haven't seen, but are actually considered pretty good by those in the know. 

So I started thinking about what criteria I would use to comprise this list.  I've rated over 2000 movies on Netflix using their star system.  Now while I believe 0-5 stars is very difficult to use, I needed something.  So here was my criteria.  If I rated the film a 5-star movie, the overall rating had to be under 3.5-stars.  If I rated it a 4-star movie, the overall rating had to be under 3-stars, but not under 2.6-stars, because that would mean the majority of viewers felt it was as close to not that good as it was to good.  My list actually surprised me, as there were only six movies that made the list.  I should also note, that if you think Elf is a five star movie, you might want to stop reading now.

So here's the list in descending order of greatness.

Hurly Burly -This movie is an adaptation of a well-received play by David Rabe.  The movie stars Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey, Chazz Palmenteri, Robin Wright Penn, Anna Paquin (who was about 15 when this was filmed - which some might find a little odd) and a way out of left field performance by Meg Ryan.  The movie is about Hollywood people and their quest to make it big(ger).  The odd thing, is what they are trying to do in their professions isn't as crazy, or as interesting, as the stuff they are dealing with in their own lives.  The dialogue is a mile a minute and while the frenetic drug and alcohol riddle pace can be a little much at times, it's the mastery of its dialogue, by such a stellar cast, that makes this work  For anyone who likes plays that have been adapted for the screen and still feel like plays, this is one for you.  It should be noted that the two ladies steal every scene they are in.

The Fountain - Darren Aronofsky is getting a lot of press for his recently released Black Swan and was praised for movies such as Pi and Requiem for a Dream, but this one is better than both of those.  It's the story of a man and a woman whose lives span over a thousand years.  It's a story about love, death and spirituality.  It shows just how fragile life can be. One must understand that this movie isn't really about time travel, although many perceive it to be.  It's about living life and facing death.  Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz are magnificent as the couple.  This is by far the most visually stimulating movie I've ever seen.  I don't do drugs, but if I did, this movie would be my favorite movie of all-time.

L.I.E. - Movies like this are difficult to love for many because of the topic.  A young boy loses his father and befriends an older man, who likes him more than just for his company.  The movie starts off with a conversation of incest and gets darker from there.  The thing that is so difficult about this movie is that it's about someone looking for love and compassion and finding it in a person who possesses the qualities that are our biggest fears. He's a pedophile.  Paul Dano (better known as the son in Little Miss Sunshine) and Brian Cox are magnificent as the child and the older man.  There are scenes of such tenderness in the film that you forget the actual motives at times.  The movie leaves you feeling uneasy and empathetic at the same time. Which with the subject content is absolutely masterful.

One False Move - Before the world knew Billy Bob Thornton for Sling Blade, this movie hit the screen. Starring Thornton, Bill Paxton and Cynda Williams, the cast delivers a film made in the early 90's that is much like classic film noir of the 40's and 50's.  It's a tale of a couple on the run and there decision to hide away in a small town.  The small town sheriff (Paxton) suspects something and thinks this may be his shot out of the small time. As the movie unfolds people's pasts come in to play with subtle, but dynamic results.

Manhunter - Manhunter is the original "Red Dragon."  The prequel to Silence of the Lambs, remade later with Ed Norton and Ralph Fiennes.  Make no mistake, take away the now cheesy Miami Vice 80's look and this movie is far better.  William Peterson plays Graham.  The man who put Hannibal Lecter in jail.  Lecter, played by Brian Cox, only appears in two scenes, but they are nearly as good as Anthony Hopkins portrayal.  The amazing Joan Allen plays the role reprised by Emily Watson.  Tom Noonan is a much spookier, although not as suave as Fiennes, as the menacing Francis Dolarhyde. 

Hard Eight (aka Sydney) - Long before Magnolia, Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood, Paul Thomas Anderson wrote this amazing movie about a loser gambler being taken under an experienced gambler's wing. Philip Baker Hall plays Sydney the older gentleman who has a soft spot for the down on his luck John, played magnificently by John C. Reilly. After getting himself back on his feet, John meets Clementine (the beautiful Gwyneth Paltrow) who is a cocktail waitress, who occasionally sells her body for extra money.  The movie really gets going when Sydney has a meeting with Jimmy (played by Samuel L. Jackson).  There are secret pasts that come out and the character's lives spiral out of control.  The script is so tight and so perfect you feel like it's over in twenty minutes.  One note I learned from the extras on the DVD.  The scene where Jimmy and Sydney first meet was filmed immediately when Samuel Jackson got on the set.  Philip Baker hall and he had never met and walked into the room and shot the scene in one take.  It's one of the most amazing scenes I've ever watched and that knowledge just blew me away.

So there it is.  My list of the six most underrated movies.  I'd love to hear what other's think of either these or their thoughts on what they think doesn't get enough props.  I've also added a list of movies below that just missed the list with quick comments about them.

Miller's Crossing - every time I watch it I say to myself "this is probably better than the Godfather."
Home for the Holidays - the best Christmas movie not called a Christmas Story.
Lars and the Real Girl - a story of people coming together in a strange circumstance.
Juice - Tupac Shakur was brilliant in this and very few people know if it.
The Devil's Backbone - everyone has seen Pan's Labyrinth, few have seen Del Toro's other masterpiece.
Elephant - Columbine-like story that is amazing and scary in its realness.
Three Burials of Malquaides Estrada - maybe Tommy Lee Jones best movie.  That's saying a lot.
The Verdict - well received years ago, but nobody under 30 has seen it.
In the Company of Men - Aaron Eckhart is brilliant, because at the end, you want to kill him for the role.
Lawn Dogs - Before the O.C. Mischa Barton could act.
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - NYU used to teach and entire class on this movie.
Alpha Dogs - some people see Justin Timberlake and laugh.  He's absolutely amazing. As is Ben Foster.
Badlands - visually stunning Terrence Malick classic with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek.
Saved - Mandy Moore, Jenna Malone and McCauley Culkin...yes that cast delivers a great movie.
Charlie Wilson's War - Tom Hanks best performance ever.  Yes, you read that right.
The Woodsman - Kevin Bacon as a pedophile trying to get his life back.  He and Kyra Sedgewick nail it.
Suspect Zero - on the hunt for a serial killer. With a twist.

Watch any of these and I'd be surprised if you don't love them.

Comments

  1. I usually pickout my roommates movies for him, I'll have to add ur rate "Most 6-overlooked movies" for him.

    I found your rating system for netflix interesting. My rating system started out being mixed from day to day. It troubled me that at times I would give an "ok" movie a higher rating than a movie I really liked. Here is my netflix rating system at the moment:

    *5 Stars: Loved the movie and want to buy it/share it.
    *4 Stars: Liked the movie, will watch/have watched again.
    *3 Stars: Watched movie all the way to the end. (something kept me to the end?)
    *2 Stars: Did not finish movie.
    *1 Star: Did not like the movie, horrible :O)

    But, I have noticed that some of the shows I like have low star ratings and others I would think emotionally-stressing- having high star rating, but I guess that's just me.

    (I came across ur blog from a food darndestest thing page when I was looking for words/expressions to describing foods).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her