Skip to main content

2011 - Starting off with a WTF?

OK, So I danced the night away on NYE/NYD.  Then went out and watched football both Saturday and Sunday.  Had a blast.  The year was starting well.  Then things started slipping away.  You know you're off to a bad start when the first work day of the new year, you have to rent a car, because yours won't go in reverse.  Then I waited and waited for my old car to be towed away. And waited.  I waited almost a week and then called a second company, Then I got sick. 

It all started on a Tuesday night.  I had dinner plans, but something wasn't right.  My stomach was bothering me and let's just say, an awkward moment may have taken place had I gone out.  So a night of stomach issues, was followed by a day where I really started to feel bad.  I went home from work a little early an laid in bed.  I could barely eat of drink anything.  The next day and a half were horrible.  Luckily around 2pm Friday I started to feel right.  I went out and got something to eat and was relieved I'd at least have a weekend.  I wisely stayed home Friday night and watched movies.  So I rented a car and didn't even really drive it the first week.  The best was the snowstorm on Friday when I realized I had left my ice scraper in my old car.  Nothing like cleaning your car off with bare hands after being sick for four days.  Like I said, at least I had the weekend.

So the weekend was fun and the everything seemed to be looking up.  Monday and Tuesday I was back to work and things were looking up.  I felt good, revived even a little. Then another snow storm.  A day off, we hit the bar.  A fun time, early exit and up and ready to go Thursday morning.  Friday started off well.  Finished up work and headed to Piper's Kilt.  As I'm paying up, I hand over my debit card.  Denied.  I'm figuring it's their machine and hand my credit card.  Goes right through.  So I head down to Stephen's Green.  As I exit, I go to pay with my debit card.  Denied!  WTF?  I check my account early Saturday morning from my phone to see a negative balance and the words IRS Lien.  UGH!  So they took every dime I had other than $20 in my pocket.  The best.  They aren't open on Saturday and Monday was a federal holiday.  So I finally call and tell them I had a payment plan and would like to resume it, but don't zap my account again.  Their answer?  Nope, you never filed 2009.  So now I have one month to do that or there will be another lien. Of course, the woman on the phone was about as about as nice as Alec Baldwin leaving his daughter a voicemail.  She had no patience for any of my questions and at times wouldn't even let me speak.  It's not like I owe her money.  I never understand people who give you attitude because you owe the government money. 

Well at least I had jury duty cancelled.  Although the new policy is, it being cancelled, doesn't count and your name goes back in the pool.  Which gets me thinking.  How many people do you think are in jail right now due to the plain, simple fact that the people on the jury felt inconvenienced.  Just a heads up.  If I'm ever on your jury.  I don't care if you're suing your neighbor for cutting down your bushes, you're going to jail.  Both of you are.  Don't ruin my day and hand me $15 and tell me I did my civil duty.  Seriously, does anyone want their entire life being in the hands of 12 people getting handed pocket change.  I think Jury duty should pay like $250 a day.  Then people would sign up for it.  And those people will spend that money.  Economy saved.  So where was I?

Did I mention the Jets won this weekend?  Now I don't have anything against Jets fans other than they call each other Gang Green.  Why would you name yourself after something that phonetically sounds like a serious problem that requires amputation?  OK, I'm lying, It's their obnoxious chant that really gets me.  Apparently they are the only fans who take great pride in being able to spell out their teams name.  Imagine if their name had more letters.  Surely some fans would lose track.  Well, at least it gives me a reason to watch the game.  I can root for the Steelers and the Pack.  Hopefully, regardless of the outcome of the games, 2011 starts to look up, because at this point, I'm hoping the Mayans were right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo