Skip to main content

Just For Fun - Stocks & A Sad Story

With all the hype surrounding Facebook going public, I have decided to start my own stock portfolio. I have decided to "buy" $7000 worth of stock.  I have invested in A pharmaceutical company, a solar energy company supported by Warren Buffet, an alternative energy company that I've been following for years, whose stock is worth less than a penny.  I have also bought 100 shares of Facebook, because it dipped to $34.

Obviously, I'm not using real money, because personally I feel the stock market is joke.  Unlike most people, who have delusions of grandeur, I'm not going into like that.  I'm looking at it like a poker tournament.  If you enter a poker tournament with 100 people for $70, usually the top 10 people get paid.  With $7,000 in the prize pool the winner would get about $3,000.  Last place would get their money back and 9th place would get $140.  I'm not greedy, but want a profit.  So by averaging 9th and 10th place, I come to $105.  From a $70 investment, that would be a profit of 50% of my investment. I'm not used to losing streaks.  When I was playing poker a lot (almost for a living), I was investing about $300 a week and over the course of a year, I tracked my progress and was in the black by about $6,000.  So that means, over about 80 weeks, with an investment of $24,000 I won $30,000.  A profit of 25% on my investment.  Realizing that a $10,500 payout on $7000 investment is petty nice, I'm going to have lower expectations.  I want to cash out $9625 (37.5% profit).  A nice profit in my eyes and I'd like to do this in no longer than 3 months.

So this is my game.  So what's the sad story?  Oh it's a doozie. I was having drinks with some friends one night, many years ago.  One of our friends gave us all a tip and asked that if we had some spare change, we should invest in her company.  She told us that their quarterly reports were about to come out and they had a monster resurgence and despite stocks plummeting, they survived the dot-com crash.  The company was Priceline and at the time the stock was about $1.45 per share.  I actually had some money saved and approached my genius, millionaire stockbroker cousin looking to purchase a thousand shares.  He laughed, told me he wouldn't waste my time or money and told me to thank him, because he had just saved me $1450.  Today the stock is worth about $650 per share.  While I don't pretend to be a psychic and I'm sure I would have sold a majority of the stock once it approached the $50-60 range, I would have definitely kept at least 100 shares for the long haul. Hard to fathom having a $60,000 in stocks on a pocket change investment.  The worst part is I've asked others about stocks I felt something good about.  There was a ball bearing company whose stock was hovering around $12 and I read an article about how many major things have ball bearings in them.  How there will always be a need for ball bearing companies.  I asked two people about purchasing a 100 shares.  They both said to save my $1200.  Three years later, the stock is at $44.  Not a goldmine by any means, but had I bought it, I'd have made a profit of $3200 in three years.  Not bad.

So here's my game, my stories and we'll see if I can become make believe rich.  It's like Skyringer on Preakness day. Had I been on my game and gone to the track, I would have bet $30 on this horse.  I would have walked away with $190.  Of course, this is the first year I haven't bet on any of the races.  The Belmont might see a different path.  We'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her