Skip to main content

Rolling Stone Magazine - The Boston Bomber

Much was made about the recent cover story by  Rolling Stone magazine on Jahar, the Boston Bomber.  There was public outrage from just about everyone, because of the 'rock star' cover photo.  Social and mainstream media was abuzz over the controversy and like that it was over.  The real reason the outrage ended so abruptly was because when viewing the cover in reality (not via cell or computer), the photo was nothing more than a grainy reissued photo  seen in many magazine and newspapers previously.  I didn't find fault for the petty reasons others did, feeling the victims should have been on the cover, because i thought that would have been true exploitation.  I was bothered because it gives a voice, maybe even a motive to others, who might want to don the cover and receive their 15 minutes.  The real issue(s) should have been with the article.

The article is basically two parts.  The beginning, which makes Jahar out to be the greatest guy on the planet.  The American dream, unrealized, but full of potential.  The second part, is a dissection of his decent and gives every reason it can think of why we shouldn't fully blame him. A turbulent  background, dissolving family  structure, a manipulative older brother and a confused religious ideology.  This is where the uproar should have been targeted.  Let us not forget that this "child," as he is represented, was of age to know better. He knew quite well from right and wrong.  One could dissect this article and possibly point to drug use, social stereotype and religious confusion, but the reality is, he knew what he was doing was wrong and he followed through on what was a premeditated act.  To feel sorrow for him is impossible.  This was not a suicide mission and he was in no way a martyr.  Regardless of your  religious beliefs, he didn't die for the cause, like those in 9/11 and therefore this wasn't jihad in terms of him sacrificing himself for the greater good.  The article fails miserably in it's attempt to paint  a picture of  a confused, lost little  boy, because  that's not what he is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!