Skip to main content

Does Anyone Else Forget Their Age?

When I was a young child, there was never a kid's table. If there was, I surely wasn't seated at it. I enjoyed the adult conversation, listening, learning, and on occasion, adding my childish perspective. As a teen, I shunned the adult table and surrounded myself with my peers, but always felt as though I was out of place. As if I were in some maturity limbo. I felt I knew more than my teachers, more than my friends and much less than those I aspired to surround myself with. I then started working full-time after high school and felt like an old soul. My friends were stressing about a grade, while I was thinking about buying a car, a house, and more.

Fast-forward thirty years. I work with people the same age I was in the last scenario. They have their entire lives ahead of them, albeit, many of them with an Ivy league degree. They talk about trips, volunteer work in other countries, craft beers, and school. Tests, papers, and projects. I envy them. I have little to offer them in words of advice other than satisfaction in one's place breeds complacency. It's as bad as a drug addiction. It grows within you and never leaves, even when you make moves. Lateral moves feel as monumental as those which bring you up. Those which bring you down are doubly as devastating because that awful feeling of being content is shaken. I could tell them this, but I don't. They seem more focused than I was at that age. For all the talk in social media and print media about Millennials, they are a focused bunch. The problem Gen X and the Baby Boomers has is, they don't recognize their drive, because it's viewed as selfish.

And this leads me to the only other bit of advice I could give them.

Be Selfish. Do for you first and the rest will fall into place. Your personal happiness will turn into other's happiness. Without self-efficacy, you can not achieve the person you deserve to be. Without that person, you can't create a life where your life promotes other's happiness. How can one without the ability to achieve their own goals, no matter how minor, spread that success to another?

I've always been good at what I do, whatever it is, but I'm not good at turning that into what I can call success. I don't view money as success, but I do know, now more than ever, that the lack of money for doing a job, has hindered my growth. Not in terms of materialism, but in terms of self. That is a lesson I could teach my younger peers, but why would they listen to someone who is stuck where they are, seemingly their entire life? This is where I am and it makes me wonder, as I laugh with them, share silly stories about the kids, a meal, money woes, and living arrangements. I'm going to be 48-years-old soon and I have more in common with the early 20-somethings that I do with my friends who are my age. I can't even say I've lived more than they have. I have endured more, but that is something we all will do. How we do it is the key. I look around me and those who are selfish when it comes to other's pain, grief, and sickness, are the ones holding the chips.

So maybe this is the third lesson. If you're going to make a choice that will hinder your success, you'd better make sure you'll never regret it. I struggle with that decision every day and while I know deep down I'd do it again, maybe that knowledge is the problem. Are my decisions now; have they always been, made out of a disconnect to where I am in life, always thinking I'm still young enough to rebound? I sure know when I look at those I'm surrounded by, I don't feel 48, but when we all leave, and they discuss their plans, I'm reminded and it's a bit jarring. It happens every day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her