Skip to main content

I Don't Have A Card

It's one thing to be broke. It's another thing to be broke and not have a credit or debit card.

Yeah, I guess that first line lets on a little more than one might have expected. Yesterday, I sat on two lines while people were denied due to insufficient funds or some other financial malady. I genuinely felt for them. One woman simply pulled out cash and walked out. The other went into a blame game. She blamed the machine, the card itself, the cashier, and the store, exclaiming her loyalty and her furthered business will be done elsewhere. When my turn arrived, I apologized to the cashier for the woman's words and bid her a better day. I paid cash.

Sometime during the evening, I felt bad for everyone involved. For the cashier, who had to bear the brunt, but also for the woman lashing out. I realized it was partly frustration, but mostly shame. The shame of poverty is a horrible pain. Trust me, putting something back because you thought you could afford it, but couldn't, is something many don't understand. What makes the situation worse was, these were school supplies, obviously not something she had bought for herself. She placed them back and bought the food. A loaf of bread, some milk, and eggs. If I'd had the money, well, you know.

Later in the day, I was ordering a new phone and couldn't pay the tax on it. I was frustrated but not with customer service, not with myself, not even with the situation that caused this, I was frustrated that technology takes away discussion. I had the money, simply not in numbers on a piece of plastic. I have an account to pay for my phone, but it's not credit or debit, but I was told I couldn't use that. So I am stuck with a broken phone until I can find an alternative or simply buy a phone with cash, then go to Verizon and have them switch the sim cards and activate it. I assume I could do it myself, but not sure. It's a helpless feeling that made me empathize with the woman before, despite her dramatics.

I was recently at something I was interested in and under all the other information, there was a disclaimer. No cash or money orders. Credit or Debit only. Isn't a debit, cash?  When did we start moving away from the social aspect of business transactions and the use of our currency? Nowadays, kids are paying for single cups of coffee with credit cards, while I'm paying rent and for car repairs in cash. Often getting odd looks, even when I walk in to pay for gas.

The reality of the situation isn't necessarily dire but it has dawned on me that the ripple effect from the desocialization of our times, will have consequences. Our desire to speed up processes, even those we view as enjoyable, is changing us. It's a silly anecdote, but this past weekend was a metaphor for this tye of behavior. I made a vegetarian chili. The pot simmered on the stove, as a crockpot sat mere inches from it. The process I chose was more arduous but in my mind, it was real cooking. Then it dawned on me what my process added: The entire house smelled of a homecooked meal. Something that is often missing from the enclosed crockpot, the instant coffee makers, and microwaves. It's how I''m starting to feel when I pay cash. There's just something about the iprocess of social interaction that is appealing, even nostalgic. Imagine that, speaking to another person, even if smalltalk, being nostalgic?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her