Skip to main content

What Do You Miss? - A Vegan's Story

Next month, I will be a vegetarian for three years and vegan for two and a half. It's not a big deal anymore for me but I have started to push the health and ethical benefits more in recent weeks. During a conversation with a fellow vegan and a room full of carnivores, the normal question was posed: "You must miss cheese, right?" When my answer wasn't what they expected, I was then asked to list the things I do miss. I told them I'd give it some thought. 

After some reflection, I came to the conclusion that the things I miss the most were the things I didn't eat very often, to begin with. The delicacies, the holiday fare, and of course, everything I've been without since my mother passed away fourteen years ago. The irony of this mental list was that those items are really what pushed me into veganism, as most delicacies tend to be the root of all evil committed against animals. I knew nobody wanted to hear me wax poetic of my high morality, so I tried to come up with a true list of non-vegan items I miss and the list may surprise most.

Worcestershire Sauce - I used to put this stuff on everything, and while there are vegan alternatives, they all have a soy sauce aftertaste. Those little anchovies truly back some serious flavor and this item is probably the thing I miss the most.

Omelets and fried eggs - I ate at least one egg, if not two, every single day before going vegan.

Cool Ranch Doritos - We all have vices and my lifelong vice has been chips. While Doritos does have a vegan-friendly flavor, it's pretty terrible. Nothing beats Cool Ranch. 

Dips - While Hummus and Salsa were always my favorites, there was something about cracking open a can of onion or queso dip and regretting the carnage the morning after. 

Sour Cream - See the notes on chips and dips. Seriously, if you're not one to read labels often, it's quite amazing how much sour cream is used. It's also worth noting that no matter how good your vegan latkes are, the vegan sour cream is pretty damn awful.

Chinese Take-Out - You'd be shocked at how few vegetable dishes are vegan. While it's a sad culinary loss, it's probably saved me roughly $1500 a year on "dining out."

To be honest, the major gripe most vegans have and will openly tell you is that convenience is our biggest obstacle. You can only order French fires so often and even then, do we really know that it's vegan? I've been to restaurants where even the salad menu has no options. So I choose to almost never eat out. Not that I did enjoy restaurant food much before, but the fact that so much is pre-made, it makes made-to-order vegan options a scarcity. All in all, I'm happier about my choice now than ever before, and while there are times it's frustrating and I  will openly admit to mistakes, I feel better about myself physically, mentally, and, for lack of a better word, spiritually. I definitely have noticed a difference when confronted with wildlife and I am certain 99% of it is simply my perception but that 1% makes it worth it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her