Skip to main content

I Wrote A Poem

Or maybe it was a rap song. I deleted it, because of Lent. I can't even explain that, as I don't believe in anything even remotely resembling a religion or higher being.

It was filled with anger. Anger pointed at those who look like me. Those who grew up in similar places as I. Those who once shared the same socioeconomic privilege I did. My anger isn't over my situation, but the privilege of others. The blindness that has affected us all. I see more praise for Kobe as a hero than Greta and Malala. I see praise for Trump as a family man, but critique of the single mom whose two jobs aren't enough. I see it daily. I see parents who don't know how their children treat women, unaware that their posts support their position. I see teachers who can't read, write, or maybe just edit. I see fathers so proud of their son's two goals, but ignoring that they'll grow up coveting scores. I'm 49, mocked for my choices, of protecting animals, reading books, and putting others before me. Mocked by those whose privilege has put them where they are, while they claim hard work, ignoring their lives as recipients. I wish I could protect so many of the children I see. Five and six is too young to be filled with such anger. The best they can, claim their parents, who drive the nicest cars, wear the best labels, and travel to exotic locales, but don't know how their child's day was. I get asked questions by some about who their children are; you laugh, but they're brighter than you. We've lost the ability to hold ourselves accountable and we've not created a generation of those who feel they're entitled, we've created a built-in excuse for failure and our privilege is ignored when we succeed. Blindness to our own selves has created two of each of us, sometimes more, but when it all comes to an end, we'll be alone, staring in the mirror. Will we recognize who we are? I sure as hell know our children (and probably theirs) won't, not because they're lazy, entitled, pampered, NO, because the safe-spaces we condemn aren't in college classrooms or online newsfeeds, but in the very homes they come from. Homes that cater to their fears, support their hate, feed their rage and this false sense of being disenfranchised. Homes that rationalize their lack of accountability, sensibility, and manners. Homes that still teach them that they can have whatever they want, they just have to take it.

So why is it, when I see a photograph of two young, powerful, brilliant, and truly altruistic women, who have endured more than any of the children and parents I know personally, why is it, that I feel such warmth and love in my heart, which slowly fades, like an emotional eclipse? Why do I know that many, maybe even most I know, see that same photo and are instantly filled with envy, confusion, and rage? They have not been on TV. They cannot dribble between their legs. They have no known wealth. They have no penis. They are not American. Only one is "white." Why should they be championed but not my boy? For every unwarranted reason, you think he should. That's why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her