Skip to main content

The Privilege Paradox

During the 2016 election cycle, I was often called intolerant for not agreeing with my friends' xenophobic outbursts. The irony, of course, is it was the angered party's sincere feeling that White America had suddenly become oppressed. I lost friends, received death threats, and had many people convinced I could not see their views, simply because I defended a woman and the rights of people who looked and lived in a manner that was different from myself. The crazy part of being intolerant was that the people screaming it lived the exact same lives I did, yet I felt no burden at all. The Intolerance Paradox was a common theme four years ago. Today, we may need something new.

The same privilege that creates racism, defines entire areas of the country, and is ignored and misunderstood by nearly two-thirds of this country, is also creating an odd paradox. At what point, do our freedom of speech without repercussions, our freedom of not having a fear of police retribution, and our comfort of knowing we still, no matter how much we protest it, we have our White Privilege, become a bit of an oxymoron? Black Lives Matter, but I'm still white. I can protest, even get arrested, and quite often lose friends while demanding equality, but at the end of the day, I settle back into that life of never having to worry. Now, there are exceptions to this rule, which I'm obviously not talking about. My old hometown is harassing a family for hanging a pro-BLM banner in front of their home, citing some odd little code, it often ignores when the banners are considered friendly. I'm sickened, but far from surprised, as it's one of the more racist places I've ever been and I lived there for thirty years. Racist, not in the overt sense, but a town so used to everyone looking and sounding the same, even those who support BLM anger them, despite it changing nothing within their own lives. 

I have a voice. My silence is assisting oppression. I get this, as do many. My point is, if I do no more than my Black brothers and sisters, with vastly different results, am I not still basking in my own privilege? Are my Facebook posts, even those with thinly veiled threats, not ignored, while a Black person's history will be used to show a tendency towards violence, should they ever become incarcerated or simply prosecuted? When I return home from a protest or arguing with friends, there is nothing to signal my less-than-appreciated moral stance, while a Black person whose day mirrored mine may find a rock through their window or worse? I will never be a "they," "them," or "those people." Never! No matter how hard I try. The very privilege that I fight is ingrained into our society, so much so, that there is no fear of change or lack thereof. There is no worry, I will be targeted based on assumption. This privilege cannot be shed. Black Lives Matter, as an undefined entity is viewed as an existential threat to those who misunderstand it. The same way the LGBTQ and Feminism are viewed as a challenge to societal norms, despite simply being about equality (a paradox in itself), Black Lives Matter, as a movement poses a much great threat to the safety and welfare of Black people than it does to those Whites who support it. It's this privilege, which we are born with, which keeps us from ever truly understanding that which we are fighting for. 

I've often spoken of the difference between thankful and grateful or compassion versus empathy and how the often confusing flip of these terms has become so common, the words have ceased to maintain their true meanings. Black Lives Matter is not about anything but equality and the acknowledgment of a privilege that has oppressed so many for so long in this country. The Black Community needs us. They need our support, our funding, our attention, and our willingness to change, but our ability to support, fund, listen, and fight for this change will always be viewed differently than their fight for the very same thing. This privilege some of us have acknowledged, feel shame towards, and are fighting to abolish, is the very thing which gives us the ability to do so. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her