Skip to main content

One a lighter note, yeah right!

I apologize to anyone who actually cares enough to read my blogs for not posting one yesterday. I have promised myself not to write when I am annoyed, as I might post something to offend someone. Who am I kidding? I am sure pretty much everything I write offends someone. Frankly, I don't care. Here's my problem with everyone today. There is no individuality anymore. Everyone wants to be like someone else or be part of a popular group. Reality TV and our new wave of pop culture shows us that being petty and stupid is cool. Following the mainstream is the way to go. People, step right up and drink the Kool Aid, because you know what, if you are one of these dime a dozen people, you might as well kill yourself.

When did thinking for yourself become a uncool. I go out on any given night and I talk smack about Sports, Religion, TV, Politics, Child Rearing, Music or any other multitude of topic. You know why? Because I can. Because I know enough about any number of topics to carry a conversation. Ask me about a catalytic converter or dual exhaust and I will look at you like a dog who lost his bone, but if I don't know anything about a topic, I won't pretend, because that will just embarrass myself. Why can't people follow these rules? Listen if you think the Baroque period was when Obama took office, you're a dumb ass. If you think Derek Jeter is a great fielder, you don't watch baseball enough. If you think Rock of Love is reality, you should dive under a bus. I watched this show the other night and didn't know who I felt worse for, the contestants or the millions of people that watch this. Absolutely disgraceful. If you have a child and they get a bloody nose and you tell them to lean their head back. Shoot yourself. That makes the blood go down their throat and will make them sick. If you think Dave Matthews is a great singer, you're wrong....OK, I'll agree that music taste is all opinion. Hell I honestly enjoy the Spice Girls. Finally, and this is for all my Catholic friends. If you think the Immaculate Conception is the birth of Christ, you are an idiot and should go right to hell. I took a religion class at Manhattan College (a catholic collge college mind you) and the teacher asked us the first day what the Immaculate Conception was and 21 catholics all raised their hand and one by one he abused them for not knowing. He got to me and I said "the birth of Mary without original sin. She was born with Divine grace." How can a class full of people who spent their life "practicing" a religion not know this. Sadly very few people know this. So thank me for the one thing you learned today! I've read the Bible (new and old testaments), I've read the Quran, I've read excerpts from the Tibetan Book of the Dead, I've read books on Buddhist, Hindu, Native American and African Religions. I've read freaking everything, and while I do not have a photographic memory, I can tell you they are all nucking futs. In my humble opinion, and I am sorry to offend, but to believe, you have to suspend logic and reason to have faith. Sure, faith is important in context, but to give up common sense, even scientific evidence just to have faith. Well that's a mighty big pill to swallow. Maybe that's why I could never funnel a beer to me it was the journey that counted, not the end result?

Here's my big problem with society right now. We're all like sponges that soak up whatever we see and hear. The problem is that so few people go out of their way to soak in everything that is available to them. I'm a nerd. If I hear something I don't know, I research it thoroughly. The problem with sponges is that sometimes you absorb dirt. This is hard to get rid of. Listen, I love Jon Stewart, but there are times when I think he is a little off base. So I usually research what he says, and surprisingly, more times than not his crazy comments can be backed up with multiple facts. Then I turn on a guy like Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly or Keith Olberman and I listen and get the same feeling. I do some research and find that things aren't exactly the way they are said. In fact, many times they are the opposite. Problem is that most people are lazy and take what they hear to be true. I have a huge problem with this. Bill O'Reilly once said about a kid who was kidnapped for years and sexually abused, that the kid probably enjoyed the experience and that he probably was having more fun than he would have at home or school. When handed the detailed report of 94 accounts of criminal and sexual abuse, O'reilly claimed to have had nightmares just from reading the account. He still never apologized or recanted his statement. So what was said with such fervor was absorbed by his followers, but his half-hearted recanting of these comments was nothing but a blip on one of his shows. Sadly people believed his crap. Problem today is that nobody is held accountable for their actions. Maybe they should be. I'd like to think if someone ever said that a victim of sexual abuse enjoyed it in front of me, that they wouldn't be standing much longer.

Tax day is today and I owe the IRS money for back taxes. Guess what? My fault. I am 22 credits from a degree and owe $36,000 in loans. Didn't go back. Guess what? My fault. I have bad credit because I didn't pay bills on time. Again, My fault. I'm overweight because I eat a lot and I drink too much. Nobody to blame but myself. There are many things I can blame on other people and factors, but you know what. Does anyone care? No way! My parents did their best for me and my brother and while maybe there are one or two things they would change, we both ended up being pretty good people. But is that enough. I look at friends, friends kids, kids today, and I worry, because some won't be good people. Some won't be smart people. Some won't do for others. I know tons of parents my age and older whose kids aren't exactly swinging from the top rung of the smarts ladder and they blame everyone but themselves. Kids get in fights, in accident, arrested they blame society. We are in a time where nobody holds themselves accountable and our future generations are just getting worse. When I was in HS I worked 40 hours a week. I know kids in HS with $30,000 cars who have never had a job. I know kids who have gone through HS and college without ever having any real jobs. My friend's son just graduated college in three years and I believe got a scholarship to grad school. He also worked the entire time and had a social life. Why is this so crazy and not the norm? I'll also add that this kid had much more responsibility at a young age than almost any kid I know. Why is he not admired more by his peers?

I wish I had a bigger forum out there. I wish I could grab a hold of thousands of people instead of five or ten. I have friends who love the movie Pay it Forward. I for one, do not. I like the concept. but there is a huge problem with the concept. People aren't willing to better themselves, so how can they pay it forward. It seems to me we're paying it forward with counterfeit promises. Doesn't this in the end pay it backwards? Aren't parents who brag about how well they've done without school doing a disservice to their children? Shouldn't they be the ones to push their kids harder? Shouldn't someone who grew up eating microwave dinners learn to cook for themsleves (I'm still trying to be 1/100th the cook my mother was and she did it after working 9-5)? Shouldn't someone who was held back because of their race or religion, push their kids that much harder to achieve and not rely on the past indiscretions as their excuse? I feel I have lead a fortunate life. Not one of riches in money terms, but riches in learning opportunities, in culture (not of the pop variety), and in experiences that were made available to me. In my childhood home there were walls and walls devoted to books and records of all types, I was free to look and listen to anything I chose and in many ways it helped create the person I am today. Look at your walls and ask yourself are you bettering yourself and those around you. Or are you paying it backwards?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her