Skip to main content

I'm worried

I have been debating the health care plan and politics in general for a few months and it truly scares me where people get their info from. There is this misconception that because it's online, it's valid.  I have people using political blogs to "source" their claims, while it's obvious from the domain name of the websites that these are not valid sources and these are nothing more than opinion pieces and political propaganda.  Sadly the average American is not smart enough to decipher the difference between opinion and fact.

I'm also worried about print newspapers. Their huge headlines insinuating one thing while the meat of the article dispels the rumor propagated by the headline.  The problem is, we have become a quick fix society.  We need instant responses and stimuli.  We read the headline, draw our own conclusions and silly, miniscule details such as facts, mean very little to us.

As I've stated in a blog earlier this week, I'm concerned about children's school reading habits.  It goes further.  We have become a people who find great humor and entertainment in stupidity, but in doing so, we as a whole have become dumber.  I remember when entertainment was classic movies and TV events were National Geographic specials.  Jacques Coustea and his son Philipe were household names then, but now it's Snooki and The Mob Wives.  It's a sad state we're in and I don't see this turning around.  Our attention spans and yearning for education seems to have died in the mid to late 80's and I think pop culture has taken over as the new history.

I'm worried that the evils in the world are taking over .  I can't remember the last day that went by without news of a bombing, a child who was molested or killed or a hate crime.  So much of this is done in the name of religion, I wonder if we're not experiencing a modern day version of the crusades.  Social acceptance is a thing of the past.  We live in a world that craves similarity and familiarity.  It's scares me, because the things that the average person says in regards to people who are different from them resembles the thoughts of Hitler and the Third Reich.  Racism and prejudice seems to much stronger today than it was when I was a teen. Social acceptance of people whose religions, color and sexual orientation is lower now than I can ever remember.  Maybe not out in the open, but behind closed doors I listen to people, even friends and I am appalled.

I'm worried about myself.  I have no college degree, but I'd argue that I'm smarter than 99% of college graduates.  I would have argued that before college.  I have limited experience in some field, because I've spent long periods of time in a few.  I fear the job market is so tight right now that my only true qualification is my personality, but it would be a stretch for someone to go out on a limb for me.  I know I am not physically restricted because of some ailments that have gone untreated and become worse.  I worry about my future and what it holds.

I worry about where we're all headed, since nobody can agree on a path.  Whether it be politics, religion, sexual orientation, education or personal feelings, it seems that finding common ground is harder today than ever before.  I don't see this changing.  When a family member gets sick, most families bury their difference, come together and push forward in hopes of making the ill feel better and to take comfort in the fact we can put aside our difference for the greater goal.  So why can't we do this as a state, a country, a world?  The other day the ACA was passed and I was happy.  The people that aren't happy are upset because they feel undeserving people are getting something they paid for.  How do you think the person who is wiping your loved one's ass in the nursing home feels when they go home after a 12-hour day and realize they can't afford the same care they are giving to others? I'm worried we've lost track of what is right and wrong and only do what benefits us.  I'm worried, we've gone to far and can't turn around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her