Skip to main content

Home & Where My Heart Is

I think it was about this time two years ago when I went to spend some time with my grandmother during a little vacation/memorial service my father was attending.  My intention was to spend a week with her, helping out and then another week once my father returned. In the end, I think it was about 18 days. Tomorrow night will be three weeks I've been here.  Sadly, I don't have much going on this summer.  No work lined up, which needs to change, as I'm still holding on to one last paycheck, trying to milk it for everything it's worth.  Sure I could become a hermit and make it last three months, but what kind of life is that? Hoping for a bit of a miracle, but I'll take some luck instead, being I don't believe in those.

Today was the first day I really reflected on this time.  I thought about where I call home.  Home is the place you are supposed to feel free. Calm. Secure. Home is where the heart is, is it not?  Yet, my heart is anywhere but where I call home. My heart is here in Ithaca, sitting on a porch, darkness engulfing me, the soothing raindrops melodically entertaining me, knowing tomorrow will be coffee and bagels and light chatter before a day of leisure.  My heart is in Brooklyn, with its vibrant sounds and colors.  It's various cuisines and the hustle and bustle of a city, not as serious as Manhattan. Memories of car alarms and cooling off in an illegally opened hydrant.  My heart is in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, the sounds of children whispering about their days,divulging secrets they believe only they can hear. The sounds of the city, so far away.

My heart is with people in my life and out. Memories of times spent around a fire, on a stoop, holding hands or clanking glasses while stars looked down upon us and we gazed back, relaxed, intoxicated by a powerful elixir known as friendship, sometimes love.  I left three weeks ago following time with friends in Boston. A different time, feeling, experience this time. Fun, but different.  Age changing my perspective, my needs.  I expected to miss people by now.  I expected to be missed.  I'm don't and I'm not. It's OK.

I've thought about it. My connections to this place.  A 25th reunion from a high school I despised, surrounded by creatures no more evolved than they were in '88.  I too haven't evolved like I wanted. I'm trapped or at least it appears.  Same faces and similar thoughts.  Wrinkles show on their faces, but the wisdom from time hasn't kept up.  It makes me look into that proverbial mirror and I see it's shattered pieces. Seven more years? How much longer can I take.  I have thoughts of three people. That is it. One the wise sage, the eyes, the ears, the shoulder at times. The other, youthful exuberance, reminding me of me, had  I strove and cared a little less what people thought. Finally there are the ones who would never expect it. The ones who keep me sane for little reasons. The tiny conversations, at times about nothing. It's important to speak about nothing, if that is what is important at that moment.

The rain is beginning to cease. That sound suddenly lost by the rare hum of a car engine. Taking me back to where I call home.  The noise, the clutter, the cramped confined space.  My home/my cell. Imprisoned by monotony and stagnation. Soon the birds will begin to chirp, awakening me, then mocking me. Reminding me  that I can't fly away with them, as they soar to places I'll never know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her