Skip to main content

Why Don't We Talk Anymore?

One of the things I love about coming to Ithaca, especially when visiting with Grandma, was the relaxed vibe here. Sure, there was the time spent helping her, but that was a privilege to do at her age.  What I mean is during the down time. Sure when she was younger she liked walks on the beach or on some path, but she also loved to chat.  I think I'm probably more like her than anyone else in my family.

When I go away on vacation with a group of people, it's always fun when we're doing group events and playing games, but the special times, the reason why I keep going back, is the times late at night when it would be me and one other person, just shooting the shit.  Things would be said, maybe revealed is more apropos, that might not be said in a passing conversation.

So many of us make plans to go to dinner, to have our stories interrupted by waiters or other diners, chiming in and not quite getting where you are in the world or what you mean.  Why can't people just sit and talk.  I've found more and more, as technology increases and out connections to multiple people and groups becomes easier, that our ability to communicate lessens.  People rush each other off the phone, with empty promises of picking up where they left off the next time.  People feign exhaustion or make up errands in order of getting out of talking it seems. People just aren't comfortable with face to face conversations anymore.

A few months ago I met a friend for lunch.  As the time ticked by, it dawned on me that minutes had turned to hours and the years that I'd known him, had been surmised on that time.  What I found fascinating was that as well as I knew him, he became someone else in that time.  He reiterated the things about him I'd already known, but he opened up so much of himself to me that I felt I knew him better after those three hours than I had over 27 years. It was because of talking and sharing.  Something that seems lost on people today. And no, it's not a generational thing. I see the same irreverence in those who are older as I do with those who are young.  I see it with those who are close to me and those who I've just met.  It saddens me that our greatest attribute isn't being used.

I remember about a year and a half ago.  I had a conversation with someone about everything under the sun. We talked about music, art, sports, kids, movies, science, religion, politics, and everything in between.  There were differences of opinion and there were shared beliefs.  As we spoke, we drew closer and closer. Ending up with a hand on each other's knees. Mere inches away from each other.  A connection had been made and it was one of the best nights I'd had in years. She was younger, very attractive with one major "flaw."  She was married and apparently happily so.  As the evening drew to a close, we both knew what had to be done.  We finished speaking, exchanging or thanks and our appreciation for one another. We then said our goodbyes, embraced and went our separate ways, never to speak again. We couldn't. It would have thrown both our lives into something neither one of us wanted for the other. We didn't scuba dive or go on a hike.  We didn't dine at a five star restaurant or go to a Broadway play.  We sat and we talked and experienced two lifetimes together. Something I will covet and hope to do again, but maybe more than once.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her