Skip to main content

Christmas: Things I Simply Don't Understand

Did anyone show pictures of their Christmas trees before social media? I have a theory behind this and it has nothing to do with the tree. I think people like to show off the fact that they can afford lots of presents and they post it almost to shun others. In their competitive minds, if they had more presents, they won some event they created in their heads.

If you're on Twitter, it's amazing how single girls out girls who are dating. One girl wrote word for word what about ten of my friend's wrote. Everything from "Santa did good," "the boy did good" "I think I'll keep him," etc. Even better was the one girl who said "Watch how many bitches show off their Michael Kors bags and then post something about 'present being nice, but it's really about who you are with.' Bitch you lying." I actually counted at least three people who not only did this, but did it with Michael Kors bags.

Ugly food. Now listen, not all Christmas traditions taste good, but I'll be damned if they don't look good. I also know that I post some ugly food pics, but I don't care and it isn't Christmas. That being said, it's kind of distracting when you show a beautiful roast or turkey, the slightly browned top of the marshmallows on some sweet potatoes, the delicious gray poured over some brisket or potatoes and then post your leftovers, all smashed into a bag or on one plate. I simply don't get it.

One thing that truly disturbs me is the dressing. I get dressing up for the holidays, especially when going to someone else's house, but there is no reason to have your son or daughter looking like they are hitting some dance club in the city. Especially when they are 12-15 years old. I'm not a prude, but I find it pretty freaking awkward when I can see your little one's areolas through her shirt or her underwear while she sits on grandpa's knee. I realize pics on your phone don't always show the detail, but that's why it makes even less sense. Why the hell are you on your phone anyway? I also don't think little Joey's fake gang signs or giving "the shocker" over grandma's shoulder is really how you want to be represented on Facebook. Oh yeah and when your older male friends are making comments about you and your daughter, I don't care if you're single and flattered, that is fucking creepy.

Celebrity pics. Why the hell are you on social media looking for celebrity's photos when you're with your family? I don't really have much more to say about this.

Phones. I must say, I was impressed. I saw a lot of pics today and for the most part, people managed to out their phones down to have their pics taken. I even saw one group shot with 17 people and not even a phone on the table in front. That's some sci-fi shit right there.

And the thing I don't understand the most. How much time did you miss with your family while posting the perfect pics? How do you think your kids, wife, husband, parents, whomever felt as they went to do something for you or to ask you something and they saw you on your phone?  I know my childhood appears to have been this mythical thing I made up, but the thing I always remember about the holidays was always feeling like i was part of the group. Even when I was playing with something, someone was joining in. Sure there were not cell phones back then, but there were phones and there were cameras and while both were present, they never felt like a part of the festivities. They shouldn't be now. Just my thoughts and like I stated, I don't understand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her