Skip to main content

Random Thoughts On Memorial Day Morning

Flags and crying eagles will be posted by those who vote for politicians who are keeping our vets from getting jobs, health care and housing. Flying the flag isn't being patriotic, helping others to better the country are. Especially when those in need, made the sacrifice so you didn't have to.

My face has broken out again and this might be the worst it's been. I'd thought it was OK and maybe I could get by without going back on the medication, but right now my cheeks look as though I've been attacked by a swarm of bees. I hate this.

People love to use the cliche, life is short. I have a challenge for all of those people. If life is short, give up watching television between 7pm and 11pm every single evening for one year. Tell me then if you think life is short. The amount of time we spend, doing nothing is frightening and the mindless devices we use to pass the time, if taken away, leave us with many more hours in the day than we can possibly conceive. Try it for one full week. Trust me, you'll be shocked how long life seems.

I told someone the other day that I have not had a French fry in 11 months. I've also not gotten drunk, eaten a good slice of pizza, walked more than a few yards, hugged or kissed a friend or just spent time with someone talking about anything even remotely meaningful to me. It's amazing how many times I've had to feign interest in someone else's tedious tales. Even that is gone and it's weird, you get used to yourself. I'm not a self talker, but maybe I am, just not vocally. I do thank a small handful who have recently reminded me what humor is and not just the pretense of humor, actual humor.

It's been ages since I've been to a proper BBQ, with food, drink and silly lawn games. Maybe a pool, which I'd ignore, but sitting in the hot sun, enjoying life. I think about the greatest BBQ I've ever been to. Three people, then briefly four. How much has changed and how much I loved that day and revisit it.

I don't know if someone has been just being cryptic in their own stupid way or if they are attempting to hurt me. I do know this, I don't care and I truly mean that. I've forgotten that friendship, which was entirely based on my forgiving and forgetting. That part of my life is over. I've been doing it since I was a child. I just wish I wasn't so stubborn a decade ago.

The vote on marriage equality made me realize how awful the people in our country can be. How were we not the pioneering country in this? How is France fining restaurants for food waste and America leads the world in it? Why are we so chronically behind the times and why do we continue to call ourselves the best country in the world. What are we best at?

I've joked with a friend that I can not be a parent, because all my most delicious dishes look like dirt. I made something that was so delightful the other night, but it looked like something that was pulled out of the clogged drain. It smelled like two different cultures colliding and resembled two trains doing likewise. What kid would eat this food, let alone say they liked it? I need a lesson on presentation. Why is all my food brown?

If anyone wants to know what the key to life is. It's sitting with a small group of people, who you want to share your time and thoughts with and not ever stopping to wonder what anyone who isn't there is doing. It's about that simple. I need to get back to that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo