Skip to main content

Kids: The Importance of Sleep

Social media changes our perspective of things. An event takes place at noon and some post about it at midnight. An event takes place at noon and some post about it at noon. We're not all the same, but we all tend to do the same thing. Meaning, if someone posts in real time, they tend to always post in real time and vice versa.

When "we" were kids, our parents understood the importance of a good night's sleep and while special occasions called for a late night, our parents tried to time these, as not to upset our routines. Kid's today, and their parents, seem to have thrown one of the most important lessons handed down from generations away. Sleep is the single most important part of a child's life. Sleep allows them to grow, both mentally and physically. It allows them to recharge a battery that appears non-stop, but actually has a very short lifespan. It allows them to think, because while most kids view their tossing and turning as torture, it actually allows them to rethink and reset. Sleep allows their tiny immune systems to work, because we tend to heat up when we sleep and kill those germs. Sleep also allows their metabolism to set. Sleep is, without a doubt, the most important thing in a child's life.

So what does social media have to do with this? Well so often, I see parents posting pics of their kids in their PJs, watching TV, doing homework, cleaning, bathing, playing, in the car, the park, the movie theater or wherever they may be and it saddens me. I see the time of the post and wonder, "Was this just now? It's 10:10. This child should have been asleep two, maybe even three hours ago." Children, all children need to get sleep. The little ones 14-16 hours a day and once they're in preschool, 12-14, naps included. Once they hit school, they still need a good 10-12 hours. So if a child is up at 7am, they need to be in bed by 7pm. I know parents are saying "You don't understand," but when I was a kid, almost all my friends were asleep, not just in bed, but asleep, by 8pm. Our night's consisted of dinner, the Muppets, brushing teeth and sleep.

One of the things I have realized from working with kids for so long is that they need three things. Sleep, proper food and exercise. The kids that get these three things, almost all excel in school, are healthy and most importantly, show a happiness, both within their families and within their friendships. They are more thoughtful, patient and in many ways compassionate. I think sleep allows them to view things clearly, to appreciate experience and to take their time with things.

I don't know what it's like to try to put a child down to bed every night, but I do know what working with those who don't sleep are like. I know that the "bad" kids, the "dumb" kids and the ones with tons of social and physical issues all tell me the same thing. They don't sleep.

And like all cause and effect situations, there is collateral damage and collateral benefits. When kids sleep more, guess who else gets to sleep more. Guess who else is more agreeable, patient and compassionate. Guess who else gets to appreciate the tiny moments in life and actually experience them. Even better, is when an entire family sleep, they get to share in each other's health, happiness and energy. Positive energy.

If you've read this, realize another thing. I'm 46 years old and I sleep about 4 hours a night. I've had chronic insomnia since my mother was diagnosed with cancer and it never went away after she died. I tell myself I only need 4 hours, maybe five. I tell myself I'm happy. I tell myself I'm healthy, energetic and emotionally there, but you know what. On those rare occasions, I get seven, maybe even eight hours of sleep. I'm reminded of a much different time in my life. My childhood. When I experienced everything fully. Makes me hope that every kid is experiencing that, but I know better and that saddens me.

Comments

  1. One of the things I have realized from working with kids for so long is that they need three things. Sleep, proper food and exercise. The kids that get these three things, almost all excel in school, are healthy and most importantly, show a happiness, both within their families and within their friendships. They are more thoughtful, patient and in many ways compassionate. I think sleep allows them to view things clearly, to appreciate experience and to take their time with things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her