Skip to main content

It Feels Like Forever

I've always wanted to write a book. Moreso a screenplay, but I believe I'd need some program to make it easier. Shorthand has occurred to me, but it's 2019 and I'm no freak. I am but not in that way. I've actually had a mental block as of late, but not with writing. I've actually been writing blogs like crazy, then deleting them. This blog; my blog, was always more about mental self-preservation than it was about being noticed. In the past few weeks, I've written more about efficiency vs inefficiency, the beauty of pregnant women, some thoughts on prayer, a supervisor's immaturity and need to be liked, my own personal state, the empty bucket list, and even the definition of love. I've deleted them all, either because they are too personal or they might be viewed as an attack on someone's character. I'm used to people attacking my character, so you'd think I'd be OK reciprocating, but I keep reaching to be better. Plot Twist: It's always, just out of reach.

Writing isn't something I feel I'm good at, but it's something I can relay my thoughts with. I don't use big fancy words and I'm not overly descriptive, so while my point is taken, it's rarely an art form. Writing as art is something I've long debated, and I'm not sure whether I was right or wrong. Hell, I don't know which side I'm on. I guess if we view art, both creating and enjoying, as an escape, writing is one of the highest art forms, but it takes active participation and unlike most other art forms, time.

We humans, stress way too much about time. We endure traffic, but enjoy that same quiet time, listening to music, alone in our thoughts, on a beach or a sun-lit room. We wake early to wait in line for coffee and a bagel, cursing every moment, when half the time could be spent at home, then enjoying it without the rush. We arrive late to places we're judged for our tardiness, but show up early for dinner, then complain about the wait. We cherish the seconds holding a baby, but ignore the hours they spend in their room when we're older. Our time at work is the burden of all burdens, but for most of us, when we are lucky enough to have vacations, we do what we could do if we were home. For most of us, what we would do after work or on a weekend. A restaurant, a movie, sitting by a pool or body of water. All the things many of us do regularly. We never take this precious time to really connect, because we crave some relaxation we already have. Stress?

Is it stress that conflates the need for time and our ability to waste it on the mundane? I recently overheard someone speak of their vacation. Movie theaters, sitting by the water, and restaurant chains. I smiled, lied about it sounding wonderful and then asked them what they did when they got back. They spewed out, "We got back Saturday, so Sunday, we went to see an early show of Avengers, had lunch by the lake, then went to Chipotle for dinner." I smiled, again, or maybe it was a smirk, at their indifference or lack of awareness, that they'd spent hundreds of dollars the week before to do exactly what they did the day before, at home. Time well spent or time wasted? Do we ever think about how we spend our money in terms of time? And I can point this ridicule at my own life, when I view my low paying job in terms of time. How do I feel about a night out drinking, knowing those three hours of smiling at strangers, occasionally some banter, and the promises to the bartenders to see them soon, has cost me in money, what was a day of work? Sometimes I feel good and other times I don't. How do we feel about where we live? Renters are hit with this much more often, when the idea that two weeks, maybe more at work is equal to the ability to live where they live. Are they happy? Most work with one intention; To move, even if only for a week.

So why is it that some days, when we do something we do every day, feels like an eternity, while others breeze by? Why is that smile from someone you see every day worth more on Friday than on Monday? Why do we chose routines that bring us no happiness and why do we choose to repeat them when we're away or given opportunity? I do not mean all of us. Some of us have the time, the opportunity, and the wealth to choose variety, but rarely do they. I keep telling myself I don't have the time to sit down and write something substantial, when the reality is, I have nothing but time. So many are always checking the time. as if the world changes that much when whatever time they are waiting for appears. Maybe it's because I work with children and there is some sadness to leaving, that I view time differently. Maybe it's becasue there is no joy in eating meals alone, sipping a cocktail in solitude. Maybe it's because most of my friends, those who I can connect with, even without speaking, are either gone or hundreds of miles away.

When I think about the last time I wrote, cried, laughed, had a great time, and felt completely content, even happy, it feels like forever. Even though each and every one of those feelings and emotions happen to me, all of us, every single day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her