Skip to main content

Laughing At One's Self

There must, of course, be some psychological study that proves or disproves this, but I'm going out on a very short limb here to say two things are absolute.

1. The ability to laugh at one's self is a sign of a great sense of humor.
2. The ability to laugh at one's self is a sign of confidence and self-esteem.

It appears to be a no-brainer that anyone who can find humor in their own failures, mishaps, or minor accidents, is going to have this ability due to the fact they know this is not and will not be the norm. A certain amount of success is built on failure and I have a hard time imagining these failures could be looked upon with anger and resentment and then provide any sort of positive motivation. Not saying this is absolute, as we're all different, but the majority of us, simply couldn't hold grudges against ourselves and become functioning members of society. Right?

Let's propose another scenario. Comedy itself. Recently, I watched a special with Joe Rogan. In it, he mocks vegans who have pets. He points out the hypocrisy of living life in a nature-loving way, which views animals as our equals, not as our means for sustenance, then looking down at our pets and opening what he described as a '"big can of death." I laughed uproariously, because even the "owning" of a pet is somewhat a delicate balancing act when describing my views and reasoning towards it. I believe in my last blog, I also mentioned laughing alone, as I lay in a pile of mud. I view much of my life as comical, because it is. I like to laugh, especially at others, and in many ways, even more at myself. I believe, an inability to laugh at myself, especially the hypocrisies, would negate my right to laugh at others, especially minor misfortunes.

As is the case with most things in life, I observed something recently which made me chuckle. I watched a comedy special with a comedian I'm hot and cold about, Tom Segura. Segura doesn't say anything you haven't heard before and at times, the eye-roll-inducing obvious punchlines are plentiful, but this time, some of them struck a chord. The reason? Someone, I know recently watched this. I heard them laughing quite a bit, but this in no way made me watch this. Our senses of humor are polar opposites. What I found funny about this person's laughter, was that it made me wonder: Does she realize she's laughing at herself? Does she realize this entire little skit is mocking her way of life? In the end, there's another segment that angrily attacks people who do a certain thing.  I do not know if she found humor in this. I'd like to believe she did, because it was an all-out attack on something she views as valid, despite the comedian ripping apart those who take it seriously. I didn't love the special, but I love just how much of the special attacked this individual personally.

When one chooses to live an ironic life, I believe it's fine for those of us observant folks to take simple joy in it, because God knows they don't get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her