Skip to main content

Letter to February

Well the short month started with that furry little fucker and for once it seems his premonition about winter was correct. The month was filled with snowfall and some chilly nights. The winter also, as it does, brought some discontent. Work was about as slow as it's ever been. I felt lucky to have worked about 80 hours this entire month. It could have been worse. In many ways it felt worse. It seems when I don't work I spend more time going out, partying it up, if you can call it a party. Watching curling, sucking back drinks like it's a job, and repeating familiar conversations over and over isn't the kind of party most would want an invite for. Maybe the loneliness of not having that person to hold has taken over. Maybe it's just that I am not as different from others as I see myself. Sometime I glance down the bar, the broken spirit of an elderly man, who at one time had everything to gain, but settled for easy. Who knows? In this economy do we really have the opportunities that our elders had?

The month wasn't all bad or was it. The Super Bowl proved about as exciting as an enema. Two teams I couldn't care less about, no money won, although a glimmer of hope, there was, if only briefly. Too many days ended with me sitting where I am right now, in my office, shop, workplace, whatever you want to call it. Sitting using the computer as the fear of buying a new one was very present in my financial situation. I tell myself this lie, but the money I spent on my daily excursions to see if Lindsay Vonn would win, even though the Internet had told me she had lost hours earlier, took over. I probably spent as much in tipping bartenders and waiters as I would have on a fancy new laptop. This is what became the norm in February.

The icy snows fell more frequently than last year. The complaints of neighbors bellowed through phone lines and corridors. I smirked, smarter than them. Parked where I could easily back out, my shoveling, scraping, and workload minimized by my foresight. Stories of hours spent digging, hurt me in ways, made me laugh in others. The kind of laugh you release upon seeing someone fall, once you have confirmed they aren't hurt.

The shortest month seems to have changed me. They all do. I'm more soured on where I am in my life. Location, money, achievements. The kids keep me going. The things they say, the actions, the smiles as they leave. Maybe a held hand, maybe a hug, maybe a thank you, uninitiated by mom or dad. These are why I live the life I do. I can't walk away from them. I sometimes think about doing anything, in a place where it's warm, or even cold. Living in a different place. Maybe a more understanding place. Maybe a place where there's a little variety. Maybe play bingo with some old-timers on Tuesday, some classic B&W films at a local library or Elk's lodge. Who knows?

I got myself back into films. Thank you February for that. I'm obsessed with films. I don't have any thoughts of acting or directing, but would love to write a screenplay. One day I tell myself, but I know it won't start in February. What would I write about. The thoughts in my head, might not translate to a good movie. I know it would be an odd movie, but would it be good. Despite what people might think, it wouldn't be a comedy. It would probably be the darkest thing anyone had ever seen. Do I want to reveal my innermost thoughts. To you February , No. Maybe to March. We'll see. March Madness begins for everyone on March 18th. Sometimes I think mine started ages ago. Or is this normal? We'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her