Skip to main content

Letter to March

Usually I wait until the month has finished and try to be a little retrospective. To be honest, I was going to blog about health care reform and then thought to myself. Nobody cares. Everyone wants to know what you did this month. They can't wait. All four of them are waiting with baited breath.

Well March was absolutely crazy in many ways. I worked about 90 hours the whole month. Bad weather, bad economy, bad habits all played a huge role in my inactivity in making money. That being said, it also featured a month where I spent money like a madman. Mostly on beverages. I can't in recent memory, remember a month where I ate less and drank more. I'm not proud, but it's my fucking blog and I need to vent. The beginning of the month I went out more than a few nights out of sheer boredom. Then St. Paddy's day hit and that night started a two week bender the likes of which not too many people have seen. This is the second day in the last fourteen I have not had a drink. The first four days of the March Madness (and Paddy's) saw me spend approximately fifty-five hours inside of different bars. That number is staggering, but even worse when you figure one of those five days I was only out for a little under two hours. Not all of this was spent drinking. In between sips, there were some good conversations, some good food and some great dancing. OK, well drunken dancing is always good dancing.

March let me reunite with a friend who I haven't seen in twelve years. The two of us and a friend of hers met up in the city, had drinks, and actually ran into friends of mine from Westchester. We all ended up hanging out together and had a great time. Some great games took place (UNI Fight!) and while I saw my brackets crumble, I still had a great time. The night didn't end there. I ended up hanging out til the wee hours, saw another friend I hadn't seen in a bit and it was good to see her too, although maybe not in her mind, but as I've discussed before, I don't get women. Never have, never will.

March also saw the opening of a friend's restaurant, The Quarry, which in reality was a more of a move than an opening. All signs seem to point to it being a great move. The place is buzzing, the food is still great, if not better and the nightlife is ten times more active and lively. I wish him all the luck in the world. He's got great people there and I know he'll do well. I just hope he let's me sample the fresh crab cakes when he makes them again! If you haven't been to the new place in Tuckahoe, you definitely should.

If there is one complaint I've had with March it's the lack of work. Nobody is really to blame. The weather was either dismal or too nice to get the phones ringing. The economy and the health care bill seems to have everyone scared to spend a cent, even though the reality is, unless you are selling or buying a house, nothing has really changed in four years. Hopefully April showers will shower me with some cash. I'm not greedy, I just want to be able to work five days a week and get some money in the bank.

March you have been one of mixed emotions and whiskey. Paddy's made a triumphant return to the states, and I've probably drank about three bottles since it has. Coors Light has lost the snow caps on it's Rocky Mountains, because I've drank them away. Stolichnaya gave me shares of stock.

March also saw me start trying to cure my insomnia. No, not with alcohol, but with melatonin. While I have read it's rare, of course this writer has developed the odd side effect of horrible, vivid nightmares. The odd thing is that I truly look forward to them. In an odd way it's my little movie. I've turned into a werewolf and fought other werewolves? I've had my sexual partner dragged away by a serpent. I've high-fived someone and crushed my hand against a wall (literally). I've been bitten by bugs, snakes, animals, you name it. Oddly, I love it. I know it's a dream, at times it scares me, but it's fun. Somewhat like a roller coaster for your mind.

March also left me with one glaring question. Who would steal a picture of me wearing a tiara from Piper's Kilt? Seriously, what person looks at that picture, taped to the wall and says "I need to have that?" I want to meet that person. Something tells me they might just be a little more fucked in the head than I am.

Comments

  1. WHAT?! someone stole that picture? wow. maybe someone wants to have nightmares, I mean dreams, no I mean nightmares of you :)
    I'll print out another copy - we should have Pete hang it on the door - it's can be the next installment of 'WTF - pictures posted at the Kilt."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her