Skip to main content

Laughter Is The Best Medicine

I've been down in the dumps lately.  No money, single for way too long and frankly living in excess that is probably taking years off my life.  At times, I sit alone, think and get down.  I go out way too much in an effort to abort a life of solitude and to get me through this rough patch.  I know it won't go on forever.  It never does.  There is always a silver lining, or so I'm told.  Mine might be bronze, but I'll take it.  I'm usually the one cheering others up, but this past weekend a few events took place that caused me to do what I love to do most.  Laugh.

Sure there are funny things that happen every night, but this weekend, for whatever reason, the laughter was plentiful.  The laughter was the kind that made your cheeks turn red and your eyes run with tears.  Moments like these are special.  Usually it's something that is said or done.  Many times someone is the target of a joke and as long as their is no malice, it's appreciated by all parties involved.  This weekend had so many of these moments. 

Saturday night looked as if it were going to be a quiet night. A woman set up a karaoke stand in a near empty bar.  People looked around and wondered who, if any, would perform.  The music began and an elderly (not too elderly) man got up and started.  His high pitched voice made some smirk, but he was doing it.  Rumors of me redoing my classic Bad Romance butcher job surfaced, but never panned out despite the chanting crowd.  Two of my friends swore they wanted no part of this.  They even left the palce, only to come back when the band at the other place had not been given the opportunity to perform.  All of the sudden I turned and there were nearly forty people in the bar and in the course of the night some of the worst and some of the best singing took place.  But through it all, everyone joined in and laughed.  The night became a sing along with an older crowd version of Glee (in which I took part) sang Don't Stop Believin'.  My good friend sung songs, throwing her own little bits and pieces into it, while her boyfriend played drums with his fingers on the bar, much to the dismay of most around him.  I threw a little Gaga, Hanson and Spice girls into the song I sung (which I couldn't tell you what it was).  I even did a little Shakira hip shake which might have either dislodged my spine or corrected it. People laughed the whole night and when the night ended at 3:45am, with my cheeks hurting and my spirits raised.

Sunday Funday started with many of the same culprits returning to the scene of the crime.  Apparently, my affinity for drinking orange flavored vodka was realized Sunday morning when all the different brands appeared to be emptied from the evening before.  This apparently happens when I go out.  Sunday started with glasses of water replacing shots in the early day.  And then it started. A Sunday regular was overheard with this gem, "Movies that start with C....Seabiscuit!"  And then it began...another evening of laughter that culminated with someone in our inner circle seeing who he thought was the little drummer boy from the previous night and before the patron could walk in the door he yell "hey fuckhead, no more drums."  In about a half a second he realized that this was not actually the same person as the night before and while apologizing for the case of mistaken identity we all began to laugh uncontrollably.  It was classic.

There were other instances of hilarity as news spread quickly about the bottle of hand cream in my car.  Rumors swirled about my love of red lights, incurable chafing and of course my infatuation with Justin Beiber (which I actually believe I started).  Of course some people also noticed napkins on the floor and took it upon themselves to stick the napkins to my dashboard and gear shift.  Thanks. It was both hilarious and degrading at the same time and I'm totally cool with that.  There was one friends inability to read the karaoke words fast enough to muster any words, so he just stuck to the chorus of "I did it all for the nookie, the nookie, you you can take that cookie and shove it up your ass," which if you know the song is about 75% of the lyrics.  Somehow I think it made the song better than the original.

You know you had a good night when your body aches in a good way.  Your stomach almost cramps from being doubled over so many times.  I'm looking forward to more nights like this, because these are what keep us going.  That get us through the tough times.  That brighten even the darkest of days.  For everyone who took part, who added to the experience, I thank you and look forward to doing again.  Soon!

Comments

  1. i really enjoyed reading this. i'm glad your weekend was awesome! thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her