Skip to main content

Terms: Am I Really Getting That Old?

Texting and instant messaging have taken over the world.  People now text, instant message and e-mail more than they talk.  Talking seems so passe.  Even I am guilty of this. I find it's easier to get an answer from a text than to ask someone, because it cuts to the chase.  I don't have to hear about their day, their wife and kids or the odd growth that has appeared on their under carriage.  Texting has made life simple, but it's also skewed the way we look at some terms.

Remember the good old days when the word WHATEVER was not a sufficient answer? It still isn't but I'll be damned if it isn't the answer to every question for teenagers.  If I ever said whatever as an answer to one of my parents questions, I'd be whacked in the head. It's a not so polite way of saying, fuck you and fuck off.  It's not an answer, ever.

BTW aka By The Way.  It's an IM staple and a phrase I use way too much.  I use this phrase more often than I use shampoo.  I use it in speech, in text and in E-mails.  I use it so much, I start conversations with it.  It's become a joke to some friends, because I use it so often.  And usually, it's used in connection with some bad news. So when you think I'm done talking and you hear BTW...run!

CUL8R - See you later.  WTF is this you lazy wanker?  WTF is the only acceptable way to say fuck without sounding rude. People write WTF like it's their job. I see more WTF's on Facebook than I see faces. It has become America's slogan. 

ATM - this used to be Automated Teller Machine, but now it's become a sexual situation which some bizarre people take great pride in having achieved.  If you don't know what it is, it's probably is for the best.

Tan - this used to be something you did by laying in the sun for hours on end.  Now it's done by laying in a machine for ten minutes or spraying on yourself.  Has anyone ever noticed that the color achieved by spray tan and the color of cheez whiz is eerily similar?  Makes me want to eat Snooki on a Ritz cracker.

Bitches - this term used to get you chased down the street in fear of getting a heel embedded in your skull.  Now it's an affectionate term for a girl's girlfriends.

Tap - when I was young this was the thing that water came out of.  As I got older, beer came out of it.  Now it's a derogatory term for having sex.  And for the most part, you don't want to drink after that's been tapped.

Cell - Ah, looking under a microscope as a child you learned all about the cells that make up the body.  Remember taking the cotton swab and running on the inside of your cheek and then looking at the weird things crawling around?  Now it's a fucking phone.

Digits - used to be my fingers and toes, but now it's a phone number.  Is everything about the phone now?

And finally...Two Girls One Cup.  This used to be the cute picture of two friends sharing ice cream.  Now it's an Internet sensation that nobody should ever have to see. Twice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her