Skip to main content

The Hardest Part Of Being 42

Today I was working with my kids and I took them outside to the playground.  Now some might not seeing this as being a tough job, but when you're by yourself and you are responsible for the safety of eleven five-year-olds it's a little stressful.  Keeping two eyes on that many little ones is not as simple as one may think.  While the kids were playing there were other kids in the park and a few mom's and one nanny.  The nanny was a very attractive young woman who seemed genuinely interested in the child she was in charge of.  Much more than the three mothers whose kids were beating the hell out of each other nearby. So here's the first part of my misery of being my age.  I have no concept of age anymore and it inhibits my ability to speak to anyone.  Now, I'm not about to start hitting on nannies while I have kids under my watch, but my point is, if I had run into this woman another time, I'd be clueless.  She could have been anywhere from 19-30.  And there lies my second problem.  What is an appropriate age range for me to seriously consider chatting up someone?  I know women in their early twenties who are more interesting to talk to than women in their 50's and older, but I also know their is a maturity that really comes with age, which is important to me at times.  That being said only relationship with someone older than me, somewhat made me realize maturity should never be assumed due to years put in on this voyage we call life.

People who know me from work or seeing me out on the weekends will probably be shocked to hear this, but I am painfully shy.  I don't think I have asked someone out on an actual date, right from the start, since 6th grade.  I get too nervous.  Rejection is of course a factor, but I don't know how to go about the "getting to know" you phase and my cynical viewpoints aren't easily hidden in those types of situations.  There lies problem three.  I don't know how to do the single guy small talk thing.  I don't care what someones work day was like, because I want to know about them and why they do what they do and how they got to where they are, not the trivial aspects of what woes they had that day.  That is for down the road, when I actually care about every second of their day.  I've never been good at starting relationships, but I was pretty good at making them last.  Well, until I hit my late 30's.  Now I have this bad habit of falling for people and feeling I'm their emotional savior, when my own emotional life is a topsy-turvy one.

This leads me to my final problem.  I don't know what I want anymore.  I am not in a financial position to "settle down" and to be honest, I like freedom.  This is not to say I wouldn't love to have someone to share every wonderful moment with, but I don't know if I want the cookie cutter life that so many of us wish for.  I know I'd be a great father, but I don't know if I'd be a great husband.  I'm not one to stray, but I do tend to become stagnant.  I like simplicity and sitting under a blanket with a bottle of wine and a movie is as good a date to me as going out with friends.  I like being home with the person I care about, but to such an extent that I almost try not to associate with others as much and it's a huge negative.  I, on my own admission, become a boring person to exist with.  A kid would change all that, but I would be the dad who ignores his wife for their child.  I would be the dad who wants to drive to every game or ballet class and sit and soak up every moment, then come home and crash at the end of the day and need some me time.  As the years have gone by, I've gotten to know myself and I know my shortcomings are here to stay. It's a horrible thing to accept, but I know what I can change about myself and what I can't.  What I am willing to change and what I am not.

I guess these seem like pretty silly things to complain about, because anyone reading them is probably saying to themselves that these are all fixable and if I want this kind of that kind of life I have to make concessions.  If I want to know who something about someone, I need to ask.  Throwing this up there on a blog isn't going to make anyone who reads it interested either, which is why it is good that about ten people read this.  Like I said, this started almost as a little therapy session for free and I feel lately like I need it for that a little more than predicting hockey games.  If my mother were alive, she'd read this and tell me to go up to the first attractive girl and introduce myself and ask her to lunch.  I'd tell her she's right and then never do it.  Then again, her not being here might have something to do with how I've changed and what I want is out of reach, because I don't want to feel that kind of loss again.  Like I said, it's silly, but it's how I feel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her