Skip to main content

A Good Day

Yesterday afternoon, I walk into a local restaurant and there's one open seat at the bar. I ask if anyone's sitting and upon hearing it's vacant I sit. The men to the right were the hunters whose drinks of choice I mocked. Nice guys, but hey, hunters. The woman to my left, I'd spoken to last Sunday and who had remembered my veganism. A few seconds later, the bartender walks over and says "Your first beer is on us. Someone bought the bar for a 50th Birthday." A few moments later a chip was put down and the birthday boy had apparently bought the entire bar another round, as he left.
Pretty good start to the afternoon.
A few moments later, The woman to my left, pulls out a small Ziploc bag. In it were three macaroons. She explained that despite being an avid fisher and hunter, she was once vegan and completely respects and admires my choice. She said, her go-to macaroon recipe is vegan, so she figured she'd bring them in hoping to see me. I thanked her, bought her a glass of wine, chatted with her and the hunters, and stayed for the rest of the game.
While many of us use social media to praise ourselves, usually without merit, some people just do good things. This woman does not know me or owe me anything, yet during her and her family's holiday, she thought about a stranger. That's a big deal in my book. I know it made my day. What made it even more wonderful was her modesty when I told her both how appreciative and how delicious they were. She almost deflected the praise, with her regrets for forgetting to write down the recipe.
I then came home to some not-so-great news and went upstairs to watch a game and take a nap with Swag. When I awoke, early in the evening, I noticed I'd missed my mail. Well, let's just say that someone else, who I've known for over 30 years, sent me a note and a gift that warmed my heart. Pretty good day, made so by the thoughts, kindness, and true altruism of others.
Thank you! Sometimes we need to be reminded there are glimmers of light in this world. ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!