Skip to main content

Why Do People Like Crap?

Whether it be material items, television shows, novels of the month, top 40 music, food, or brand name labels, it seems that Americans love crap. Anything that doesn't take much thought to understand, to debate, to purchase, to even justify, seems to be the way of the world. Our desire for instant gratification has become so immense, that something as simple, and instant as making a cup of coffee or a sandwich has become a burden. The irony, of course, is the outside purchase take so much longer, more energy, and of course, money, to attain.

Just think of the average pot of coffee

From start to finish, it takes anywhere from 8-12 minutes.
It can be made while getting dressed, taking a shower, or feeding the kids.
Hell, nearly every coffee maker has a timer so it can be ready when you awake.
The average cost for a six-cup pot of coffee at home? About 15 cents.

Just think of your outdoor daily coffee purchase.

The time to drive, even if on your way, is a few extra minutes of waiting.
The cost, usually between $2-3 per cup
Then factot in the time you spent working to make that amount
Sounds like nothing, but if you make $10 per hour, you're spending 15 minutes of your pay

And let's be honest: There are few cups of coffee bought outside of the house that can compare to buying your own and brewing it at home.

But it doesn't stop at coffee. Why does an ugly design or pattern on a shirt make a $6 tee shirt suddenly cost $40 or more? What do you gain in prestige by wearing this shirt? What about household items? In a year, will anyone care where you bought your sofa or loveseat? Books, movies, music have become so uniform, I can't tell them apart. Is it Transformers 3 or The Hunger Games 2? Why do action films have such shallow character development? Why do novels follow the same patterns? Why does so much of today's music sound exactly alike? Wasn't this the argument against rap music in the 90s?

Why has being unique become hipster, millennial, out-of-date? Why is modeling one's self after everyone else become so embraced? Why has trendy become so generic?

Hell, we even revolt and resist the same way!



Comments

  1. Re: Our love affair or rather need for instant gratification, too many of us don't get that it's the journey not the destination ... the joy is in the journey
    Full disclosure these are not my original quotes/slogans

    Re: The need to accumulate crap, that can be attributed to shitty taste ;-) but also more importantly think about a mouse on a wheel. We attempt to fill the bottomless holes within our selves with stuff. This just increases the constant need for more. Filling the hole can only be done from the inside out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sometimes think my changing my ways has left me a little jaded when I see people doing the most normal (American) things. My current, and this is now going on way too long, financial state, has left me much more thoughtful than frugal, but it also has made me realize I never got any joy out of stuff and refuse to impulse buy, other than food. Sure, I still waste money on drinks and tipping, but I do so to preserve my sanity, often just to get away from the collectors in this world. It's funny living in a house that isn't yours, looking everywhere and with the exception of cooking utensils and appliances, there's not a single thing I'd want and without question, nothing I'd need. I do think we're never happy and this need to fill emptiness with stuff has become normal, but is it normal? I'd like to think my minimalist approach will one day pay off for me. Now, it's more out of necessity, but I like it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her