Skip to main content

A Chair

People love to say they are not judgemental, but I believe we're always judging, How then can we decide who to befriend, trust, fall in love with, or ignore? Many people take time to figure out and often their first impression is not at all what they end up being. To be quite frank, this is most often the case. In time, given all the chances, I find that most people will let us down. Not in catastrophic ways, but I truly believe we, as a species, are innately selfish. Unlike animals in the wild, we're given everything early in life, and selflessness, compassion, and empathy are learned traits. I often wonder if there is something universal that can open our eyes, almost immediately, to who someone is. It is not fool-proof, but I have found one. A chair.

How someone treats a chair, in respect to others, is a telling factor in how they treat people. Now, we're not here to discuss dating etiquette and how to treat someone else in regards to the chair, because societal rules could be applied. I mean how one treats a chair, in public and in private. Please hear me out, I truly think it is a complex issue. I realize this sounds as if I'm going to wax poetic about one's love of seating apparatus, but trust me, I am not. I mean this to be my genuine belief and I'm basing it on so many I've seen before. 

This entire thought first came to me out at bars. A bar is usually set up with each chair or stool pushed into the bar. As patrons arrive, they pull the stool out, sit, order, drink and/or eat, then pay and get up to leave. Pleasantries are customarily exchanged and then the person leaves. It's that two or three second moment from the time the person stands, until the time they turn to walk away that I've noticed most. How does the patron leave their seat? Do they return it to the pushed-in spot where they found it, or do they leave it, out in the floor area, not being bothered with returning things to their rightful place? I find this tells a lot about people, and from talking to others, bar behavior coincides pretty well with this simple act. 

But let's look at the taking of the chair. When you approach a chair to sit in, do you just grab the chair, or do you asses the size and weight of the chair, the flooring it stands on, and how much noise, if any, this chair will make. Do you simply pull it out with one hand, or do you lift it with two, gently placing it, as not to disturb others, or damage the floor? Do you always push it back in, as you took it out, or do you push it back in a different way? Do you do this at home? Do you take into account the hour when moving patio furniture in a shared house, as not to wake anyone, even those four-legged family members? When getting up, do you lift the chair or simply push back, sliding the chair along the floor? Finally, if eating, do you check underneath your seat?

I realize this sounds like a lot to do about nothing, but take a look at those around you and how they treat chairs, especially when in your home, and then think about their behavior towards others. If you find no correlation, then it is possible, I've made the correlation first, and attaching behaviors I find commendable or despicable to them. I sincerely believe that the way a room is left after you walk in says a lot about who you are as a person, and the chair, no matter what type or what type of setting is a red flag or a sign of respect for others. Wheyther that person should ever meet them or not. After all, we hear all the time that we should leave a better Earth for our children, but how can we if we don't teach them the simple good manners of how to treat a chair?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her