Skip to main content

A Day Without Joy?

Yesterday, I heard so many utter the question, "Is it Friday yet?" I smiled, pretended to laugh, all the while feeling pained by this oh so common cliche. Later in the day, I watched a movie and a man questioned a woman's choice to work where she did. A sketchy, brothel-type place, where it appeared as though the women simply entertained, platonically I assume. She responded that the job brought her happiness, each and every day, because she got to do the things she loved, to sing and dance. I thought about the man's saga, one which saw him give up his calling, because he no longer had a love for it. He lived a much simpler life, caring for his son and running a tiny store. He had happiness, but the only joy was his love for his son. The woman had a love for others, but also had something for herself. It's an important distinction.

Yesterday, I was sick. I don't get sick often and I've been handling this slight cold, but yesterday, for all intent and purposes, I was ill. I had no fever, but I also had very little voice and even less energy. This was before work. Is it Monday yet? The children bring me a minuscule paycheck, but they bring me joy. I am often frustrated by them, angered at their selfishness, irritated by their lack of cleanliness, and surprised by their words and hitting. This aggravation is not out of a desire to not be there, it's out of love. While I'm sure their parents wish they'd stay this age forever, I long for the day when they don't have to be told. Oddly, in my line of work, I rarely, if ever, see the finished product of their childhoods. Mondays, despite aches and pains, often self-inflicted, bring me joy.

I have been thinking a lot recently, about a lot of people. Those I am in contact with daily and those who I view through the lens of what they choose to show on Facebook. I often remind myself that this sad, joyless existence, is what they choose to expose. If this is the best they can muster, do they even achieve minimal happiness? I think of my hard-working parent friends and how their children bring them joy daily. Sure, there are headaches, lack of sleep, and the usual frustrations, but their joy is with them each and every day. That is something I envy. I wonder how many people out there live without joy. This is not to be confused with depression, anxiety, or sadness, but the lack of a single thing which brings them a warmth and makes them whole. I see one person, every day, chasing their self-proclaimed dream, doing what they profess love for, and gaining nothing that even resembles a glimmer of contentment, let alone, happiness, and far removed from anything joyful. The complaints, about life, people, pets, their own self, yet all the while projecting this narcissistic pride in even the smallest accomplishments. All the while, surrounded by the most mundane daily expectations, left undone, unkempt, and unresolved. There is some order in chaos, but there is also a necessary order in achieving joy. Simply setting an alarm and meeting the occasional deadline at midnight of the evening before, is not it. One needs to want to create happiness out of their daily tasks or simply change those tasks to those which give them joy. And if one starts to believe that this level of happiness is contingent on other things, such as money, power, or other's praise, the chance they can achieve this is very slight. I speak only for myself and what brings m joy, but as long as their are young people, who see me and smile, just because I'm there, I will have joy each and every day of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her